Patient Comments: Swallowing - Cause

What was the cause of your swallowing problems?

Comment from: glen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Within the past year I have been having problems while eating. It happened very infrequently at first but as of late it is happening several times a week. It begins with difficulty swallowing followed by an inability to catch my breath. I begin to have symptoms of hiccups, but still no way to catch my breath. The only thing that I can do to alleviate the problem is to vomit even just a little bit. Maybe someone can relate to this. It is very embarrassing to run out of the room gasping.

Comment from: moses Baloyi, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have a difficulty swallowing solid food and my back is always in pain. I usually had swallowing problems since I was young then O became well as time went by. Then it started this year again.

Comment from: LA Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

My dysphasia was caused by intensive radiation to treat base of tongue cancer. I have been cancer free for almost two years and have undergone deep tissue stimulation without success.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: May 10

I fell in November 2010. Among other hurts, it felt like I pulled a muscle in my chest right under my left breast. Since then, a lot of times when I eat, it feels like it is stuck in my throat. Even when I drink, it feels like the food is still there. And sometimes when I sit bending over in a chair my chest hurts.

Comment from: n.melor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

As a previous polio sufferer I have been wheel-chair bound for 60 yrs. Sometimes, esp. at bedtime, when I swallow, saliva goes down the wrong way and I suffer a coughing fit which lasts for hours.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Six weeks after having a level 4-5 cervical fusion I was diagnosed with dysphagia. My symptoms were first dismissed as anxiety but after losing 15 pounds because I kept choking on my food I had a video swallow exam. I will be working with a speech therapist.

Comment from: eldora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

After my hiatal hernia surgery I began to have liquids and now I trouble swallowing please inform.

Dysphagia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
Dysphagia - Symptoms Question: Besides difficulty in swallowing, what other symptoms did you experience with dysphagia?
Dysphagia - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment did you receive for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)? Did you require a feeding tube?