Patient Comments: Dysphagia - Symptoms

Besides difficulty in swallowing, what other symptoms did you experience with dysphagia?

Comment from: Mag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have a Schatzki's ring, which results in a narrowing of the esophagus. My dysphagia symptoms usually happen when eating chunky things like bagel or steak. It feels like it gets stuck and is quite painful. I have to stop eating, and can get some relief by sticking my finger down my throat to force vomiting. Symptoms can last 30 to 45 minutes. Long lasting relief can be had by having a gastroenterologist do a dilation (stretching) of the narrowed part of the esophagus. I have this done every 2 to 3 years.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have noticed over the past two years, that sometimes when I am eating and I swallow, it feels like it is caught in my throat. I stop, totally empty my mouth, and relax my throat as much as I can. I take sips of liquid, even though it is painful to go down, and if I do swallow it feels like my throat is closing up and is tight. Finally, after a minute or so it stops. Then I can eat normally. For the past 10 years I have taken Excedrin every day, which does contain aspirin.

Swallowing - Cause Question: What was the cause of your swallowing problems?
Dysphagia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
Dysphagia - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment did you receive for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)? Did you require a feeding tube?