Patient Comments: Dysphagia - Experience

Please describe your experience with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).

Comment from: gardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had dysphagia for about 6 months. It started with occasional choking and coughing when I ate or drank, and sometimes just choking on my saliva. Now it happens every meal. I had a barium swallow test, which was normal. Tomorrow I see an ENT. I"m hoping to find out what is causing this and get a solution.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ELMRSLP, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

While in rehab, work with the speech-language pathologist on swallowing exercises to improve your swallowing. If you have "passed" bedside swallowing evaluations and are not being upgraded to more regular foods and liquids, you may request a modified barium swallow (MBS) study. Typically, patients who experience swallowing difficulty after intubation (and have no other pre-existing swallowing difficulty) recover quite well and return to regular foods and liquids.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: jimmy w, Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I had pneumonia and was diagnosed with COPD. I am now in rehab—feeling very weak and need strengthening exercises for my legs and arms. The doctor has me on a pureed diet because I had a ventilator tube for two weeks and I couldn't swallow when they removed the tubes. Now I don't seem to have a problem, I've passed a swallow test, but they're still feeding me baby food and thick water. I've lost 10 or more pounds and I was already thin. How do I improve my swallow so I can eat?

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Swallowing - Cause Question: What was the cause of your swallowing problems?
Dysphagia - Symptoms Question: Besides difficulty in swallowing, what other symptoms did you experience with dysphagia?
Dysphagia - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment did you receive for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)? Did you require a feeding tube?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.