What other names is Superoxide Dismutase known by?
Orgotein, SOD, Super Dioxide Dismutase, Superóxido Dismutasa, Superoxydase Dismutase, Superoxyde Dismutase.
What is Superoxide Dismutase?
Superoxide dismutase is an enzyme found in all living cells. An enzyme is a substance that speeds up certain chemical reactions.
Possibly Effective for...
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, when used as an injection.
- Lung problems in newborn infants, when used as an injection.
- Treating interstitial cystitis, a kidney condition, when used as an injection.
Likely Ineffective for...
- Reducing heart damage after a myocardial infarction (MI, heart attack), when used as an injection.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Sports injuries, ulcers on the lens of the eye (corneal ulcers), gout, cancer, helping people tolerate radiation therapy, preventing rejection of kidney transplants, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).