Patient Comments: Sunburn - Experience

Have you ever experienced a really bad sunburn? What was it like?

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

When I was in my early 20s, I got a severe sunburn (sun poisoning). Besides the excruciating pain of the burn itself, it caused me to retain fluids in my body. My face was so swollen that a close friend couldn't recognize me. I could not move my arms because of the fluid build-up. I had to have help getting dressed and doing other things. It was awful and it took several weeks before all of the symptoms were resolved.

Comment from: babs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

As a child I got sunburns that caused blisters, chills, fever, dehydration. As a teenager I thought I'd not get them any more cause I was tanning but not so I got burns that blistered, chills, dehydration, flu-like symptoms, and felt going to sleep. When I was older I thought I shouldn't get burned anymore because I knew how to cover up, ya right. I still get sunburns and some worse than others. The sun hates me!

Comment from: brian77, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I had a reaction to sunburn last week that lead me to the ER. It felt like someone was shocking me with a stun gun. The pain was so intense they gave me so many pain killers to help and nothing was working. I had it happen once before and it's the worse pain I've ever felt.

Comment from: Comet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

On Jan.17 2012 I received a hepatitis B shot he to start all my things I had to do tests also for the Kidney Transplant Unit list for a Kidney to live that I could get on the list and doing she I got my first shot was done in my doctor's office by a part time MA filling in for their regular one this MA said she had never given one but other shots she had so believed I was in good hands How wrong it was she injected me on the lower back side of my arm and within a week could not move my arm and my doctor sent me for MRI which showed not much so sent me to a specialist and found that because of the shot it froze my shoulder now after 6months still in pain and with Physical therapy I have limited mobility. I have extremely fair skin and even using the highest SPF products still get burned. And before there was SPF I was often burned quite badly. Right now I am suffering from Severe Sunburn due to not realizing that a new shirt rode lower than the sunscreen I applied. And then went out for a multi-state motorcycle ride on a very hot and sunny day. I now (four days on) have shoulders on fire and upper back slightly better; fever of 100.8 after Tylenol and drinking cool liquids, blisters and severe redness. Not quite as painful as a skin graft (I have had two) but close. I find that ALOE WITH LIDOCAINE (avail at drug stores in sun screen area) helps a lot. Also---the more you age the worse this seems to get (not those children should be exposed at all for more than a few minutes to full sun) and the farther North you live the worse also as we spend so much time covered up avoiding the cold. Add in skin that reacts terribly to most sun screen products and a life lived outdoors on the bike in the summer---makes you wonder which is worse. And even with that I still have virtually NO Vitamin D measure in my blood---another topic.

Sunburn - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your sunburn?
Sunburn - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your sunburn?
Sunburn - Home Remedies Question: Please share home remedies for treating a sunburn.
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) - Applying Sunscreen Question: Share tips for applying sunscreen, including how to remember to apply it after swimming.