Patient Comments: Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Foods and Plants

Do certain vegetables, fruits, or plants cause you to have a photosensitivity reaction? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Sassy , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been diagnosed with having photosensitivity reaction, we are in the process of eliminating 1 of possibly 4 of my medications, nabumetone, amitriptyline, Humira injections and Asacol. My skin is in a terrible state, it started 4 years ago, but I just put up with it. This year it is at its worst, wish I had known about this condition years ago. This skin condition has ruined my life. I can't go out in the sun, I cancel pre-arranged dates with friends as my skin is too dreadful, I get very embarrassed. I am the shadow of my previous outgoing, happy confident self.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Catya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I developed photosensitivity after taking St. John's wort for 2 weeks. It started with skin sensitivity where even brushing up against a hard object would feel like a burning, scratching sensation and a constant feeling of heat under the skin, particularly on my hands, arms and feet. I then noticed that going out in the sun exacerbated the burning feeling in a very unpleasant way. Once I got out of the sun I noticed that any metal or anything cool, like water for example, felt icy cold on my skin, and I was sunburnt.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Phototoxic Drugs Question: If you had a sun-sensitive reaction to a drug, what was the medication? What were your symptoms?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Symptoms Question: Describe your reaction or symptoms to a sun-sensitive medication. When did symptoms appear?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including other medications, did you receive after experiencing a sun-sensitive drug reaction?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors