Patient Comments: Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Foods and Plants

Do certain vegetables, fruits, or plants cause you to have a photosensitivity reaction? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Sassy , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been diagnosed with having photosensitivity reaction, we are in the process of eliminating 1 of possibly 4 of my medications, nabumetone, amitriptyline, Humira injections and Asacol. My skin is in a terrible state, it started 4 years ago, but I just put up with it. This year it is at its worst, wish I had known about this condition years ago. This skin condition has ruined my life. I can't go out in the sun, I cancel pre-arranged dates with friends as my skin is too dreadful, I get very embarrassed. I am the shadow of my previous outgoing, happy confident self.

Comment from: Catya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I developed photosensitivity after taking St. John's wort for 2 weeks. It started with skin sensitivity where even brushing up against a hard object would feel like a burning, scratching sensation and a constant feeling of heat under the skin, particularly on my hands, arms and feet. I then noticed that going out in the sun exacerbated the burning feeling in a very unpleasant way. Once I got out of the sun I noticed that any metal or anything cool, like water for example, felt icy cold on my skin, and I was sunburnt.

Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Phototoxic Drugs Question: If you had a sun-sensitive reaction to a drug, what was the medication? What were your symptoms?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Symptoms Question: Describe your reaction or symptoms to a sun-sensitive medication. When did symptoms appear?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including other medications, did you receive after experiencing a sun-sensitive drug reaction?