Patient Comments: Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Symptoms

Describe your reaction or symptoms to a sun-sensitive medication. When did symptoms appear?

Comment from: margot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have taken 12.5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide for 4 years. This past year for several times my face will get swollen, red, itchy, burn and it seems to have happened when I am outside and especially driving in the car (we do not have tinted windows). After 4 or 5 days the swelling and redness goes down and my face and throat area get scaly and tight. The doctor finally told me to stop taking hydrochlorothiazide and I find I still have those symptoms although not as severe. It was interesting to me to read on this website that this can occur even after the hydrochlorothiazide should be out of my system. I hope it stops soon. I took my picture at a time of one of my episodes. I wish I could post it for you to see. My brother-in-law also was on hydrochlorothiazide for a while. He was barefoot in the sand and his feet swelled up and got red and itchy. The pharmacist told him to stop taking it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Phototoxic Drugs Question: If you had a sun-sensitive reaction to a drug, what was the medication? What were your symptoms?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including other medications, did you receive after experiencing a sun-sensitive drug reaction?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Foods and Plants Question: Do certain vegetables, fruits, or plants cause you to have a photosensitivity reaction? Discuss your experience.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.