Patient Comments: Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Phototoxic Drugs

If you had a sun-sensitive reaction to a drug, what was the medication? What were your symptoms?

Comment from: Girlzoom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am taking metoprolol and Norvasc. I am having extreme sun sensitivity. I just recently changed to Norvasc from Cozaar.

Comment from: Mouse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I began taking hydrochlorothiazide a little over a month ago. It was soon after that our son came to visit and we went to the Oregon coast. We walked quite a bit there. It was about 80 degrees. I wore a hat. But when we got back to the motel I noticed my face, hands, neck, and eyes were bright red, and burned and itched. My husband and son did not have it. Nothing helped. I continued to have it for the next month. Though it has got a little better it is still red, inflamed and itchy. I then went out a couple of days ago for 15 minutes and within that time I again totally turned red, was itching, and my eyes swelled up. It was in reading this article that I realized that I am highly allergic to the medicine. I do have some other medical allergies, but this is about the worst. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and am asking to be taken off of this medication. I am only taking the 12.5mg. I believe it is not needed. And I can't go on looking like someone has beat me in the face. Thanks for your article, I believe it has really answered my problem.

Comment from: lgittins1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have taken hydrochlorothiazide for several years. This past year I have had sunburn on my feet and one leg. They look a reddish purple color and swell a lot. They also hurt really badly. They have the appearance of being baked.

Comment from: valj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Having lived in Hawaii and California, and never any issue with sun exposure, I was very annoyed to find out that I was having allergic type reaction to sun. The only medication that I was taking was Nexium. Symptoms were severe itching on arms and legs that would last for 1 to 2 weeks following sun exposure. One incident that was severe happened while on vacation in Hawaii. No sunburn, but with multiple days at the beach itch became severe and I also got hives on arms, neck and face. Doctor visit with steroid injection and several day course of steroids took care of this and I switched to an OTC acid reducer.

Comment from: Hutcher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I took ibuprofen and Aleve for several years for a very bad back and now have a problem with the sun. I must wear a hat and I often get redness and little blister eruptions on my nose, etc., when exposed to the sun for any time. I have been off the medication for several months now and the condition persists, especially when driving a car on sunny days. I believe the pain pills may have caused the problem. I hope it goes away soon. It is so embarrassing to have your nose red and ulcerated when you go out in public.

Comment from: Diana047), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a sensitivity to the sun after taking Biotin for hair and nails.

Comment from: Sylvia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I rubbed estrogen gel on my arms then went to the beach. I had severe reaction to the sun.

Comment from: cbeard9071, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

The medicine I am taking for high blood pressure, hydrochlorothiazide, causes me to react to the sun. I get weak and feel dizzy. I also have pains feel sick to my stomach. I have had this happen more than once since I have taken this medicine. It does say to stay out of direct sunlight. Even when driving down the road it has happened as well.

Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Symptoms Question: Describe your reaction or symptoms to a sun-sensitive medication. When did symptoms appear?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including other medications, did you receive after experiencing a sun-sensitive drug reaction?
Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Foods and Plants Question: Do certain vegetables, fruits, or plants cause you to have a photosensitivity reaction? Please share your experience.