Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs) Index
Sun sensitivity (photosensitivity) is an inflammation of the skin induced by the combination of medications or substances and sunlight. The affect on the skin is redness, which looks similar to a sunburn. Generally, these reactions are either phototoxic or photoallergic. Phototoxic drugs are more common than photoallergic drugs. Symptoms of phototoxic reactions are a burning and stinging sensation and then redness. Symptoms of photoallergic reactions are itching, redness, swelling, blisters of the affected area. Treatment generally is discontinuation of the medication and topical application of creams.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- Drug Interactions
- isotretinoin, Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorica, Myorisan, Zenatane
- promethazine, Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...learn more »
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...learn more »
In This Article
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE) Article
- Systemic lupus erythematosus facts
- What is systemic lupus erythematosus? What are the types of lupus?
- What are risk factors and causes of systemic lupus erythematosus? Is lupus contagious? Is lupus hereditary?
- What is drug-induced lupus?
- What are lupus symptoms and signs?
- How is systemic lupus erythematosus diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for systemic lupus?
- Is there a systemic lupus erythematosus diet?
- How can a lupus patient help prevent disease
- How can systemic lupus erythematosus affect pregnancy or the newborn?
- What specialties of doctors treat lupus?
is the prognosis of lupus? What does the future hold for people with
- Where can one get more information about systemic lupus erythematosus?
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...learn more »
In This Article
Skin Cancer Article
- What is skin cancer?
- What are the risk factors for skin cancer?
- What causes skin cancer?
- What are the different types of skin cancer?
- What are the signs and symptoms of skin cancer?
- When is a mole dangerous or high-risk for becoming a skin cancer?
- What are the most common sites where skin cancer develops?
- How is skin cancer diagnosed?
- What is the staging for skin cancer?
- What is the treatment for skin cancer?
- What kinds of doctors treat skin cancer?
- What is the prognosis for skin cancer?
- Can skin cancer be prevented?
- Sunscreen use and vitamin D
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...learn more »
In This Article
Heat Stroke Article
- Heat stroke facts
- What is, and who is at risk for heat stroke?
- What are heat stroke symptoms and signs?
- What about heat stroke in children?
- How do you treat a heat stroke victim?
- How can heat stroke be prevented?