- A Visual Guide to Migraine Headaches Slideshow
- Headache and Migraine Triggers Slideshow
- Take the Migraines Quiz
- What is Zecuity, and how does it work?
- What brand names are available for sumatriptan iontophoretic patch?
- Is Zecuity available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for Zecuity?
- What are the uses for Zecuity?
- What are the side effects of Zecuity?
- What is the dosage for Zecuity?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with Zecuity?
- Is Zecuity safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about Zecuity?
What is Zecuity, and how does it work?
- Sumatriptan iontophoretic transdermal system (Zecuity) is anti-migraine drug that is delivered through the skin or transdermally. It is a serotonin (5HT) 1b/1d receptor agonist that is used for the acute treatment of migraine headaches in adults.
- Zecuity contains the drug, sumatriptan, which has been previously available as tablets, injections, and nasal spray. As the exact cause of migraine headaches remains unclear, the mechanism by which sumatriptan helps to this type of headache is not well understood. However, it is thought that sumatriptan helps to alleviate migraine pain by decreasing the dilation of blood vessels in the brain and inhibiting the release of inflammatory chemicals in the brain. This drug is designed to deliver sumatriptan through the skin with application of a battery operated device on the upper arm or thigh of the patient.
- This drug was approved by the FDA in January, 2013.
What brand names are available for sumatriptan iontophoretic patch?
- Zecuity is the brand name for sumatriptan iontophoretic transdermal system available in the US.
Quick GuideMigraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.