Sulfonamides are a class of drugs from a sulfur-containing chemical (sulfanilamide). Examples of sulfonamides include sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Co-trimoxazole, Septra, Septra DS, Cotrim, SMZ-TMP, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim); sulfasalazine (Azulfidine, Sulfazine); and sulfisoxazole (Truxazole, Gantrisin). Some of these drugs are available only in generic forms. Side effects of sulfonamides may include dizziness, lethargy, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache, serious skin rashes and anorexia. Sulfonamides are not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Side effects and drug interactions should be reviewed prior to taking this medication.
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease,
primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can
affect...learn more »
In This Article
Crohn's Disease Article
- Crohn's disease facts
- What is Crohn's disease?
- What causes Crohn's disease?
- How does Crohn's disease affect the intestines?
- How is Crohn's disease different from ulcerative colitis?
- What are the symptoms of Crohn's disease?
- What are the complications of Crohn's disease?
- How is Crohn's disease diagnosed?
- How is Crohn's disease treated?
- Crohn's Disease Medications
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- 5-ASA (mesalamine) oral medications
- 5-ASA rectal medications (Rowasa, Canasa)
- Budesonide (Entocort EC)
- Antibiotics for Crohn's disease
- Immuno-modulator medications
- Azathioprine (Imuran) and 6-mercaptopurine (6-MP, Purinethol)
- Infliximab (Remicade)
- Adalimumab (Humira)
- Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia)
- Natalizumab (Tysabri)
- Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- Surgery in Crohn's disease
- Are there any recommendations for diet, supplementation, or vaccinations for Crohn's disease?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...learn more »
In This Article
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Article
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) facts
- What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- Rheumatoid arthritis vs. osteoarthritis
- What are causes and risk factors of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are complications of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and signs? What does rheumatoid arthritis feel like?
- What tests do physicians use to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are the stages of rheumatoid arthritis?
- What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis? What types of medications treat RA?
- "First-line" rheumatoid arthritis medications
- "Second-line" or "slow-acting" rheumatoid arthritis drugs (disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs or DMARDs)
- What are newer rheumatoid arthritis treatments?
- Rheumatoid arthritis diet, exercise, home remedies, and alternative medicine
- What about rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?
- What are tips for living with rheumatoid arthritis?
- Is it possible to prevent rheumatoid arthritis?
- What specialists treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What new information about RA has come from the 2015 national meeting of the American College of Rheumatology?
- What research is being done on rheumatoid arthritis?
- Where can people get additional information on rheumatoid arthritis?
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....learn more »
In This Article
Ulcerative Colitis Article
- Ulcerative colitis facts
- What is ulcerative colitis?
- What causes ulcerative colitis?
- What are the symptoms of ulcerative colitis?
- How is the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis made?
- What are the complications of ulcerative colitis?
- What are the treatments for ulcerative colitis?
- What are ulcerative colitis medications?
- 5-ASA Compounds
- Systemic corticosteroids (including side effects)
- Golimumab (Simponi)
- What are immunomodulator medications?
- Summary of medication treatment
- Surgery for ulcerative colitis
- Treatment by disease severity and location (based on ACG Practice Guidelines)
- Are there any special dietary requirements for persons with ulcerative colitis?
- What research is being done regarding ulcerative colitis?
In This Article
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) Article
- What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
- What causes a urinary tract infection?
- Are urinary tract infections contagious?
- What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?
- When should people seek medical care for a UTI?
- How do physicians diagnose a urinary tract infection?
- What kinds of doctors treat urinary tract infections?
- Are there home remedies for a urinary tract infection?
- What is the treatment for a urinary tract infection?
- What follow-up is needed for a urinary tract infection?
- Is it possible to prevent a urinary tract infection?
- What is the prognosis of a urinary tract infection?