Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: skynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I experienced a SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) on 4/29/13. I was relaxing on my bed and became very anxious and short of breath. My son was in his room and all I remember is saying to him "911". Five days later I came off the ventilator and was brought out of the deep sleep they kept me in. I continue to struggle with depression and the fear of it happening again. My saving grace was my son being home and immediately starting CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). As a nurse and SCA survivor, I can"t stress the importance of everyone learning CPR.

Comment from: 6454miller, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

My dad is 56 years old. He suffered from hepatitis C and five days ago went into cardiac arrest. He died and they brought him back and I have got mixed information on if he went an extended time with no oxygen to his brain or not. His ammonia levels were almost at 1000 when admitted to the hospital and the doctor said there was no chance he'd live more than a day or two. Here we are at day five, he's still on life support and respirator but continues to get better as far as his vitals and ammonia levels go. I refuse to let them take him off respirator, I have faith he will wake up soon.

Comment from: Changed life forever, 55-64 Female Published: May 13

I lost my 40-year-old son to sudden cardiac arrest. His father found him 19 hours later in his home lying on the kitchen floor with the back door open. The autopsy showed that he died of coronary artery arthrosclerosis with thrombosis. I knew that my son smoked, but on the outside he looked as healthy as a horse. He had a 32-inch waist and never had any symptoms. I plead with his two brothers to get checked. I do not want to go through this heartache again.

Comment from: ocean2blue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I experienced sudden cardiac death June 19, 2009 while watching a movie at home. I just suddenly fell over with no warning. My step-daughter called 911 who then talked her through CPR until First Response showed up. I had to be shocked three times before my heart started beating. I woke up eight days later in intensive care with no memory whatsoever of what happened. I spent three weeks in the hospital. I had an ICD implanted and have been home for almost seven months, healthy. Everyone should be taught CPR. Without it, I would not be here today.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: December 11

My wife suffered cardiac arrest one month ago. Luckily, my daughter had CPR training and she brought her back before the ambulance arrived within 8 minutes. She's making a great recovery and has an ICD inserted. She had never had a heart complaint and had no warning before going down. It was some shock, but we were lucky. CPR training should be mandatory in all schools. My daughter did it at 15 and saved her mother's life one year later.

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My mother passed away from cardiac arrest on Oct 28,2013 inside a store which had no defibrillator and employees with no CPR training.

Comment from: Healthconscious, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

I lost my husband, age 36, nine months ago to sudden cardiac death. The coroner refused to do an autopsy so we have no idea what caused it. My husband did smoke, but was a "social smoker." He had no history of high blood pressure other than the high blood pressure readings he would get if he went to the hospital. He had no symptoms of heart disease and was, in general, a healthy man. Now we just need to ensure our twins are checked frequently for heart problems to make any early diagnoses.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?