Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: skynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I experienced a SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) on 4/29/13. I was relaxing on my bed and became very anxious and short of breath. My son was in his room and all I remember is saying to him "911". Five days later I came off the ventilator and was brought out of the deep sleep they kept me in. I continue to struggle with depression and the fear of it happening again. My saving grace was my son being home and immediately starting CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). As a nurse and SCA survivor, I can"t stress the importance of everyone learning CPR.

Comment from: 6454miller, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

My dad is 56 years old. He suffered from hepatitis C and five days ago went into cardiac arrest. He died and they brought him back and I have got mixed information on if he went an extended time with no oxygen to his brain or not. His ammonia levels were almost at 1000 when admitted to the hospital and the doctor said there was no chance he'd live more than a day or two. Here we are at day five, he's still on life support and respirator but continues to get better as far as his vitals and ammonia levels go. I refuse to let them take him off respirator, I have faith he will wake up soon.

Comment from: Changed life forever, 55-64 Female Published: May 13

I lost my 40-year-old son to sudden cardiac arrest. His father found him 19 hours later in his home lying on the kitchen floor with the back door open. The autopsy showed that he died of coronary artery arthrosclerosis with thrombosis. I knew that my son smoked, but on the outside he looked as healthy as a horse. He had a 32-inch waist and never had any symptoms. I plead with his two brothers to get checked. I do not want to go through this heartache again.

Comment from: ocean2blue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I experienced sudden cardiac death June 19, 2009 while watching a movie at home. I just suddenly fell over with no warning. My step-daughter called 911 who then talked her through CPR until First Response showed up. I had to be shocked three times before my heart started beating. I woke up eight days later in intensive care with no memory whatsoever of what happened. I spent three weeks in the hospital. I had an ICD implanted and have been home for almost seven months, healthy. Everyone should be taught CPR. Without it, I would not be here today.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: December 11

My wife suffered cardiac arrest one month ago. Luckily, my daughter had CPR training and she brought her back before the ambulance arrived within 8 minutes. She's making a great recovery and has an ICD inserted. She had never had a heart complaint and had no warning before going down. It was some shock, but we were lucky. CPR training should be mandatory in all schools. My daughter did it at 15 and saved her mother's life one year later.

Comment from: Doug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

On 4/18/13, I passed out with no warning in my kitchen and hit my head on the floor. My wife sat me up and I seemed ok, but then passed out again. I went by ambulance to the emergency room (ER), and was admitted for observation because of hitting my head. Next day I underwent a full series of tests, with the doctor not liking something he saw in the stress-test, but I had no blockages and my heart muscles were healthy. I was fitted with a halter monitor. Jump to 5/12/13, at 6 am I let my dog out, and didn't remember anything until ambulance crew was working on me. I was transported to a trauma center, but had a "quack" for a doctor in the ER, who said it didn't matter that I had a heart monitor on and I just had vertigo. I was admitted because I had a major concussion because I'd hit my head on a concrete sidewalk when I passed out. When my wife got home, there was an emergency message from the cardiologist to call because of the monitor report. My wife had sense to push the button on the monitor. On 5/13/13 I saw a cardiologist-surgeon with the results and was scheduled for a pacemaker on 5/14/13. I was released for my heart on 5/16/13 to go back to work. However, I wasn't released by the neurologist to go back for several more weeks due to concussion. I don't have any heart restrictions, but still have head problems.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?