Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: mstacsgt, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My husband passed away from Sudden Cardiac Arrest. He had two previous episodes of severe chest pain and was had negative results on a stress test except for what they considered some minor rhythm changes. In retrospect they know it should have been looked at closer and paid more attention. He was dead three weeks later. He collapsed when I was in the washroom and upon my coming out I found him on the floor and he was flat line and the defibrillator read "do not shock". There had been an Officer in the area and arrived within 2 minutes of my call and they had the defibulator with them. His eyes were fixed and dilated. Obviously with more appropriate follow-up on the warning incidents there may have been a different outcome. Please be proactive for your family and ask for any additional testing that could be more definitive for your family member. Their life is at stake. My career police officer husband left this world at the age of 54 and hopefully they can learn something that will prevent someone else from experiencing the same fate.

Comment from: Sweetdeal698, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

In February, I was playing basketball in a league at a local rec center and just fell over. (I was 55 at the time.) They say I was out for 4 - 5 minutes. I ended up in ICU where I had 3 stents implanted. I can't really remember much from the night it happened (Wednesday) until Sunday afternoon. I was released on Saturday and the Doctor said I was good to go. NO RESTRICTIONS! I was back playing basketball 10 days later. Doctors said that I had no damage and could do as I please. Prior to the arrest, I was being treated for diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. All of these problems ran in my family. I can only attribute my fantastic recovery to quick action on the part of gym personnel, EMT's, doctors, past exercise and faith and trust.

Comment from: ingriddavis, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

This must be one of the most traumatic, horrific experiences for anyone, to witness a sudden cardiac death of a loved one. Last fall, my husband of 33 years, having just finished a busy morning on his tractor, and lunch, was walking across the room, and DROPPED! I mean dropped like an oak tree. I was 10 steps away, and ran for the phone, listening to one horrible groan. When I got back, about 40 seconds later, with 911 on, he was sightless, and still. I attempted CPR, but nothing, just nothing. He was gone by the time the first responder arrived about 5 min later. Our family, our lives, have been devastated. I am AMAZED, how little can be done for this, how little we even hear about it, unless someone like Jackson dies too. I feel EVERYONE who has heart disease should have an implantable defibrillator. I am also appalled at the medical profession, and their lack of concern about people with heart disease. This dying, apparently, is quite common in middle aged men. Usually there is underlying problems, often known. I have heard of more people who have lost loved ones like that.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I just lost my 49 year old husband to myocarditis. It was a very sudden and unexpected death. He was very healthy but got addicted to those energy drinks which made his heart beat irregular and so there were no systems. We had just gone for a 75 mile ride on his new bike and got home watching a movie and next thing I knew he was gone. Had he not drank those energy drinks that are one the shelves in most every store you go to maybe we would have known that something was wrong.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?