Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: ingriddavis, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

This must be one of the most traumatic, horrific experiences for anyone, to witness a sudden cardiac death of a loved one. Last fall, my husband of 33 years, having just finished a busy morning on his tractor, and lunch, was walking across the room, and DROPPED! I mean dropped like an oak tree. I was 10 steps away, and ran for the phone, listening to one horrible groan. When I got back, about 40 seconds later, with 911 on, he was sightless, and still. I attempted CPR, but nothing, just nothing. He was gone by the time the first responder arrived about 5 min later. Our family, our lives, have been devastated. I am AMAZED, how little can be done for this, how little we even hear about it, unless someone like Jackson dies too. I feel EVERYONE who has heart disease should have an implantable defibrillator. I am also appalled at the medical profession, and their lack of concern about people with heart disease. This dying, apparently, is quite common in middle aged men. Usually there is underlying problems, often known. I have heard of more people who have lost loved ones like that.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I just lost my 49 year old husband to myocarditis. It was a very sudden and unexpected death. He was very healthy but got addicted to those energy drinks which made his heart beat irregular and so there were no systems. We had just gone for a 75 mile ride on his new bike and got home watching a movie and next thing I knew he was gone. Had he not drank those energy drinks that are one the shelves in most every store you go to maybe we would have known that something was wrong.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?