Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: S K Pattnaik, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

On 19 December 2010, my mother-in-law died of a sudden cardiac arrest. It was so quick that nothing could be done to save her life. My wife was with her at that time, but before she could realize that was an attack, the damage was already done. Within six minutes, I reached home and found her out of life.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: June 01

I lost my little brother in July 2009. In my brothers situation his ulcer ruptured and he didn't get help in time. He collapsed on the kitchen floor. I think that this was when he went into cardiac arrest, or shortly thereafter. While I was on the phone with 911 my mom and my room mate were trying to make him comfortable, and they insisted that he was mumbling that he was OK. This was relayed to the 911 operator so while we were waiting for the arrival of EMS we were not advised to start CPR. Ems arrived within 5 minutes. They stared CPR right away and kicked us out of the house into the back yard. A few minutes later another ambulance arrived as well as a fire engine and two police cars. It was at this time I realized that he was in serious trouble. It was estimated by the paramedics that his heart had been stopped for about 20 minutes total. Needless to say we had to make the decision to take him of life support 5 days later. The doctors also told us that he had suffered from renal failure as well. So this likely contributed to his death.

Comment from: Jamie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I was 24 years old and just started working at a hospital. I was outside on a smoke break with my supervisor and a few nurses. I started to feel nauseated and turned my head to the side to let out a little burp I also felt over heated. That was the last thing I remember, when I came back too I was laying on the ground in a puddle of my own urine. The nurse said that I might have chest pain because she had to perform CPR. I was sent to another hospital and after 24 hours was discharged and told I had fainting spells and a click in my heart. No test were done except an EKG and over a year later I am still not sure what happened, why it happened, or what I should do.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I suffered a cardiac arrest on 28th August 2009. I had no prior symptoms of a heart condition and no warning signs. From reports, I just felt faint and then passed out, came to, then arrested. If it were not for the quick response of my family and c.p.r. from a neighbor, I would not be here. I have had an I.C.D fitted, but luckily have been left with no underlying medical problems and no meds. I agree with prior post that C.P.R. should be taught as standard to all, IT SAVES LIVES.

Comment from: wmb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

When I was 26 years old I went into cardiac arrest in reaction to Mellaril (which has now been given a black box warning for causing arrhythmias). I was found in a bathroom unresponsive with fixed dilated pupils and cyanosis; no one is sure how long I'd been out. After 10 minutes of CPR I came around and was taken in-patient, but have little memory of the days and weeks afterwards. Now, at 42, I am mildly affected (some problems with memory, speech and coordination). I am thankful to be alive.

Comment from: mstacsgt, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My husband passed away from Sudden Cardiac Arrest. He had two previous episodes of severe chest pain and was had negative results on a stress test except for what they considered some minor rhythm changes. In retrospect they know it should have been looked at closer and paid more attention. He was dead three weeks later. He collapsed when I was in the washroom and upon my coming out I found him on the floor and he was flat line and the defibrillator read "do not shock". There had been an Officer in the area and arrived within 2 minutes of my call and they had the defibulator with them. His eyes were fixed and dilated. Obviously with more appropriate follow-up on the warning incidents there may have been a different outcome. Please be proactive for your family and ask for any additional testing that could be more definitive for your family member. Their life is at stake. My career police officer husband left this world at the age of 54 and hopefully they can learn something that will prevent someone else from experiencing the same fate.

Comment from: Sweetdeal698, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

In February, I was playing basketball in a league at a local rec center and just fell over. (I was 55 at the time.) They say I was out for 4 - 5 minutes. I ended up in ICU where I had 3 stents implanted. I can't really remember much from the night it happened (Wednesday) until Sunday afternoon. I was released on Saturday and the Doctor said I was good to go. NO RESTRICTIONS! I was back playing basketball 10 days later. Doctors said that I had no damage and could do as I please. Prior to the arrest, I was being treated for diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. All of these problems ran in my family. I can only attribute my fantastic recovery to quick action on the part of gym personnel, EMT's, doctors, past exercise and faith and trust.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?