Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: DEBORA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I am 54 year old female. Last month I was having severe back pain. I took my blood pressure at home, it was low, 87over 68. Knowing I have high blood pressure I asked my husband to take me to the emergency room, as something was wrong. At that time I never had heart problems. Ten minutes after I was at the hospital I went into cardiac arrest. The hospital worked very fast, it took thirty minutes to get my heart beat back. I woke up three days later in ICU on life support, the doctor stated I died and they brought me back. I cannot thank the doctor enough for saving my life. I am still having a lot of pain due to several broken ribs, but over all I am so thankful for being at the right place at the right time.

Comment from: akki, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

A relative of mine, 17 years old, died of sudden cardiac arrest. He had never told us of chest pain or a heart pain. He was a regular soccer and occasional cricket player and had never showed signs of pain on the playground. He had played cricket that day an hour before his death, then he came home, took heavy breakfast and laid down on sofa for rest. He began talking with his brother, and said he wanted to sleep, after five minutes when the brother came back he was dead.

Comment from: S K Pattnaik, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

On 19 December 2010, my mother-in-law died of a sudden cardiac arrest. It was so quick that nothing could be done to save her life. My wife was with her at that time, but before she could realize that was an attack, the damage was already done. Within six minutes, I reached home and found her out of life.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: June 01

I lost my little brother in July 2009. In my brothers situation his ulcer ruptured and he didn't get help in time. He collapsed on the kitchen floor. I think that this was when he went into cardiac arrest, or shortly thereafter. While I was on the phone with 911 my mom and my room mate were trying to make him comfortable, and they insisted that he was mumbling that he was OK. This was relayed to the 911 operator so while we were waiting for the arrival of EMS we were not advised to start CPR. Ems arrived within 5 minutes. They stared CPR right away and kicked us out of the house into the back yard. A few minutes later another ambulance arrived as well as a fire engine and two police cars. It was at this time I realized that he was in serious trouble. It was estimated by the paramedics that his heart had been stopped for about 20 minutes total. Needless to say we had to make the decision to take him of life support 5 days later. The doctors also told us that he had suffered from renal failure as well. So this likely contributed to his death.

Comment from: Jamie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I was 24 years old and just started working at a hospital. I was outside on a smoke break with my supervisor and a few nurses. I started to feel nauseated and turned my head to the side to let out a little burp I also felt over heated. That was the last thing I remember, when I came back too I was laying on the ground in a puddle of my own urine. The nurse said that I might have chest pain because she had to perform CPR. I was sent to another hospital and after 24 hours was discharged and told I had fainting spells and a click in my heart. No test were done except an EKG and over a year later I am still not sure what happened, why it happened, or what I should do.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I suffered a cardiac arrest on 28th August 2009. I had no prior symptoms of a heart condition and no warning signs. From reports, I just felt faint and then passed out, came to, then arrested. If it were not for the quick response of my family and c.p.r. from a neighbor, I would not be here. I have had an I.C.D fitted, but luckily have been left with no underlying medical problems and no meds. I agree with prior post that C.P.R. should be taught as standard to all, IT SAVES LIVES.

Comment from: wmb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

When I was 26 years old I went into cardiac arrest in reaction to Mellaril (which has now been given a black box warning for causing arrhythmias). I was found in a bathroom unresponsive with fixed dilated pupils and cyanosis; no one is sure how long I'd been out. After 10 minutes of CPR I came around and was taken in-patient, but have little memory of the days and weeks afterwards. Now, at 42, I am mildly affected (some problems with memory, speech and coordination). I am thankful to be alive.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?