Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: BuckeyeFan93, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My husband (age 55) collapsed at work with cardiac arrest. First responders gave CPR. When he got to the hospital he was non-responsive. He was revived, had stents put in, and placed in intensive care. He was in a coma for four days. He had oxygen depravation, and no one was sure how long he was out before CPR was started. He was taken off life support on the fourth day, and woke up the fifth day and said "hi" to the nurse. He had limited vocabulary and virtually no voluntary motor skills. When he was discharged to a nursing home after two weeks in the hospital, while he came a long way, he still could not function on his own and most times his conversation was gibberish. After 5 weeks in a nursing home with physical, occupational, and speech therapy, he was able to come home. He could dress himself, feed himself, and take care of his own personal hygiene. It is now 11 weeks since his heart attack, and he has completed physical and occupational therapy. He continues with speech therapy, but his memory is coming back, he knows he has lost some, is learning to read and write again, and can drive short distances. His speech is slurry at times, but he always makes sense. What happened to my husband is a miracle. There is no other explanation. He was a smoker all his life, but drank little. He had an active lifestyle and had no warning of heart problems. He did, however, avoid going to the doctor and practicing preventive medicine. His family doctor is very pleased with his progress and is amazed at his recovery in such a short time. Our families and I are still praying for a full recovery. What a roller coaster ride it was for me (his wife), especially the first two weeks; from going to giving his organs away and planning his funeral to having him at home now and functioning well and everything that happened in between. Sometimes when suffering comes to your door, you have to realize every person is different. The intensive care doctor, cardiologist, and neurologist all told me this, and they were right, although they were not very optimistic. I am sure hundred and hundreds of prayers contributed to his awakening and recovering so far -- and he's not done yet!

Comment from: AnnieCat, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My father died of cardiac arrest after years of small episodes where his heart was able to recapture a beat. He had little medical care by choice and was an alcoholic who quit smoking some 15 years before he died. He had a cardiac catheterization 10 days before he died and ignored the cardiologist's advice about not driving across the country. His medications were yet to be titrated appropriately when he died. At catheterization, it was discovered that he had what is called alcoholic cardiomyopathy although his liver was pristine. I was told that this can happen in people who are heavy drinkers; at the time, the cause and effect of this phenomenon was unknown. At any rate, alcoholic cardiomyopathy was the direct cause of my father's cardiac arrest at the age of just 67.

Comment from: Consuela, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My brother had knee replacement surgery on both knees at the same time. He had to get one redone and he went to the hospital. He developed clots in both legs and both lungs. He went into cardiac arrest and he passed after taking him off the ventilator that afternoon.

Comment from: FAMILY, 35-44 Female Published: April 05

My father died of sudden cardiac arrest when he was 55. He was not sick. He was an active person. He just went to sleep and his heart stopped. I found out after that his mother had died of the same thing at 69.

Comment from: DEBORA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I am 54 year old female. Last month I was having severe back pain. I took my blood pressure at home, it was low, 87over 68. Knowing I have high blood pressure I asked my husband to take me to the emergency room, as something was wrong. At that time I never had heart problems. Ten minutes after I was at the hospital I went into cardiac arrest. The hospital worked very fast, it took thirty minutes to get my heart beat back. I woke up three days later in ICU on life support, the doctor stated I died and they brought me back. I cannot thank the doctor enough for saving my life. I am still having a lot of pain due to several broken ribs, but over all I am so thankful for being at the right place at the right time.

Comment from: akki, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

A relative of mine, 17 years old, died of sudden cardiac arrest. He had never told us of chest pain or a heart pain. He was a regular soccer and occasional cricket player and had never showed signs of pain on the playground. He had played cricket that day an hour before his death, then he came home, took heavy breakfast and laid down on sofa for rest. He began talking with his brother, and said he wanted to sleep, after five minutes when the brother came back he was dead.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?