Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience

What was your experience with sudden cardiac arrest?

Comment from: Doug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

On 4/18/13, I passed out with no warning in my kitchen and hit my head on the floor. My wife sat me up and I seemed ok, but then passed out again. I went by ambulance to the emergency room (ER), and was admitted for observation because of hitting my head. Next day I underwent a full series of tests, with the doctor not liking something he saw in the stress-test, but I had no blockages and my heart muscles were healthy. I was fitted with a halter monitor. Jump to 5/12/13, at 6 am I let my dog out, and didn't remember anything until ambulance crew was working on me. I was transported to a trauma center, but had a "quack" for a doctor in the ER, who said it didn't matter that I had a heart monitor on and I just had vertigo. I was admitted because I had a major concussion because I'd hit my head on a concrete sidewalk when I passed out. When my wife got home, there was an emergency message from the cardiologist to call because of the monitor report. My wife had sense to push the button on the monitor. On 5/13/13 I saw a cardiologist-surgeon with the results and was scheduled for a pacemaker on 5/14/13. I was released for my heart on 5/16/13 to go back to work. However, I wasn't released by the neurologist to go back for several more weeks due to concussion. I don't have any heart restrictions, but still have head problems.

Comment from: ocean2blue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I experienced sudden cardiac death June 19, 2009 while watching a movie at home. I just suddenly fell over with no warning. My step-daughter called 911 who then talked her through CPR until First Response showed up. I had to be shocked three times before my heart started beating. I woke up eight days later in intensive care with no memory whatsoever of what happened. I spent three weeks in the hospital. I had an ICD implanted and have been home for almost seven months, healthy. Everyone should be taught CPR. Without it, I would not be here today.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: December 11

My wife suffered cardiac arrest one month ago. Luckily, my daughter had CPR training and she brought her back before the ambulance arrived within 8 minutes. She's making a great recovery and has an ICD inserted. She had never had a heart complaint and had no warning before going down. It was some shock, but we were lucky. CPR training should be mandatory in all schools. My daughter did it at 15 and saved her mother's life one year later.

Comment from: Healthconscious, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

I lost my husband, age 36, nine months ago to sudden cardiac death. The coroner refused to do an autopsy so we have no idea what caused it. My husband did smoke, but was a "social smoker." He had no history of high blood pressure other than the high blood pressure readings he would get if he went to the hospital. He had no symptoms of heart disease and was, in general, a healthy man. Now we just need to ensure our twins are checked frequently for heart problems to make any early diagnoses.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: March 07

I'm a female 63 years old, I took an antacid for indigestion and must have felt something was wrong , cause my husband said I went to him and said call 911 I'm having an allergic reaction to the meds. I'm allergic to an antibiotic so I knew the signs, he called 911 and when he felt they weren't going to get there in time he ran across the street to our neighbor for her epipen, she ran following him, I was laying out front on the lawn, they shot me with the epipen but then I went into cardiac arrest, our neighbor was a paramedic who immediately started CPR till the paramedics got there. I died several times on the way to the hospital, my lung collapsed & when they arrived my heart was stopped, they told my husband they would do everything to bring me back. I woke up 10 days later in ICU on a respirator and then spent quite some more time in the hospital. When I got home a nurse came 3 days a week, also a PT came 4 days a week for a long, long time. I am very blessed to be alive but this was no easy recovery, I got a cracked rib and 2 broken bones in my back from the CPR & the pain lasted for month and I had to wear a metal brace. Thankfully the only lasting problem is my memory and I can live with that. I'm sorry for anyone who lost a love one.

Comment from: Georgiana Emereole, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My experience is that the chances of survival is dicey, depending how quickly the person is attended to. Routine check of the heart is necessary when you experience chest pain. For some exercises people should know the state of their heart before indulging into such. People should be mindful of what to eat. Avoid being obese.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?