- Quiz: Sudden Cardiac Arrest!
- Visual Guide to Heart Disease Slideshow
- Heart Symptoms Never to Ignore Slideshow
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest FAQs
- Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Experience
- Patient Comments: Sudden Cardiac Arrest - Symptoms
- Introduction to sudden cardiac arrest
- What are the causes of sudden cardiac arrest?
- What about sudden cardiac arrest in the young?
- What are the symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest?
- How is sudden cardiac arrest diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for sudden cardiac arrest?
- Can sudden cardiac arrest be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for sudden cardiac arrest?
What is the prognosis for sudden cardiac arrest?
The frequency of sudden cardiac arrest is related to the frequency of coronary artery disease. If public health initiatives work to decrease risk the factors for heart disease, the risk for sudden death should decrease as well.
In the adolescent population, increased awareness of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and appropriate screening may decrease the frequency of sudden death.
Public education and widespread availability of AEDs will increase survival.
Medically reviewed by Robert J. Bryg, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease
"Overview of sudden cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death"