Patient Comments: Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Cause

What was the cause of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Comment from: chef ray, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a caustic cleaning chemical splashed into my eye. I didn't wash it out according to prescribed length of time and damaged the surface of my eye. All things went downhill from there. The next day, blood vessels broke and an infection ensued. Doctors washed my eye out the right way, unfortunately, too late! The chemical did its damage!

Comment from: FormerGardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

With blackflies and black soldier flies in my garden and pyoderma gangrene with a staph infection on my leg, I went out and gardened. I was stung and developed larva in the wound. With doctors that refused to believe I had larva, I am now developing river blindness. The larva are eating the white part of my eyes. Eventually they will do so much damage I will be blinded. Both doxycycline and ivermectin are not killing enough of the larva. Because the doctors treating it don't really believe I have this, they are not being aggressive enough. I am probably going to be blinded soon.

Comment from: blindedbythelight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was driving my car in blinding sunlight for at least a half hour. I had no sunglasses with me and suddenly felt my left eye really hurting most likely from the sun and straining my eyes so as to prevent myself from getting into a driving accident. As I got off the exit ramp I felt my eye burst like a spatter effect and I immediately looked into my mirror and saw that my eye was blood red. I have never had this happen in my life. Then, my friends told me that I had a blood vessel burst and it would go away in 10 to 14 days. I have low blood pressure and the only change in my life was a flu shot that I had a week prior to the incident. So I'm just going to chalk it up to the sun as my gut instinct.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had subconjunctival hemorrhage multiple times, maybe 4 to 5 a year. Today's is by far the worse. All I did was barely touch a Q-Tip to my right eye to get a speck of mascara out. I have done this before with no adverse effects. The blood actually went on both sides of the pupil and pooled in the front lower part beneath the sclera. I have had pain in my eyes at various times over the last few years.

Comment from: Aussie, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I drank too much, which caused my subconjunctival hemorrhage. I fell asleep and then woke up to myself vomiting around 3 a.m. The next morning, a quarter of my left eye was bright red.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have recurring uveitis. Every time I get the steroid injection, I get a burst blood vessel in that eye. My problem is that I can't use the prednisolone drops until two days after the burst blood vessel; as the drops feel like I just put soil in my eye.

Comment from: Dagvb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a hard workout with heavy lifting and cardio intervals with a trainer and woke up with a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Comment from: DEN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am not sure what caused my subconjunctival hemorrhage but I had bad hay fever and took an antihistamine in the afternoon. I also had a massage meaning I was lying on my stomach for quite a while. I have had this hemorrhage a few times before. It also seems to happen if my eyes get dry, which happens easily when hay fever season starts.

Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your subconjunctival hemorrhage?
Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?