Patient Comments: Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Cause

What was the cause of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Comment from: Rockhead, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I sneezed while hunched over trimming toenails and got subconjunctival hemorrhage. Lesson learned: sit up before sneezing.

Comment from: Surfrider, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been suffering from subconjunctival hemorrhages (SHCs) for several decades. They occur in the same place every time, in the corner of my left eye. I was diagnosed with weak capillaries in the eyes. The SCHs occur when my blood gets thin; by eating garlic, cumin, too much Omega-3, etc. So I stay away from these foods.

Comment from: eiche43, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am dealing with an eating disorder. Mainly it is bulimia and occasional days of starving. After asking and doing some research I feel confident the bloodshot redness (subconjunctival hemorrhage) in mainly my right eye but lately left as well is due to the extreme violent strain I am putting on abdominal area as I vomit. I am working with professionals to tackle the disorder but I wonder if it is okay to use eye drops or just splash water in eyes as needed or is that will worsen it. Usually the eye feels irritated and dry and even painful to blink at times.

Comment from: girl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I think the subconjunctival hemorrhage happened after I went on a run, I pushed myself a bit. Then a couple of hours afterward I looked in the mirror and saw my right eye all bloody on the whole right side. Today it has spread over more of my eye and it feels irritated. My sister had this happen in both eyes after reacting to an anesthetic in the hospital. It's so gross! I hate it!

Comment from: Dasneezequeen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I got subconjunctival hemorrhage from having violent fits of sneezing and coughing. Almost the entire white of my eye was red, and even before the coughing and sneezing stopped it went away. I think it is the first time it happened. It was pretty gnarly looking.

Comment from: peachy, Published: February 04

I drank a lot of water and energy drinks for dengue. And of course I visited a doctor and had several tests on platelet counts.

Comment from: dawnaj10, Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I got mine after taking Nasacort nasal spray, which has steroids. I took my first dose and found the subconjunctival hemorrhages within an hour of taking it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had been plagued by at least four subconjunctival hemorrhages a year for the past ten years. I had been to ophthalmologists, physicians, etc., to ensure there were no serious underlying causes. Last year my eye doctor realized that I had been on Retin-A for acne for about ten years which causes a very drying effect on the eyes even though I had not applied it anywhere near the eyes. I have been using eye wetting solution every morning and every night and have not had a sub conjunctival hemorrhage since.

Comment from: Harry, Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage from diving to the bottom of a lake as part of a lifesaving drill. Both eyes were affected, but one took its time healing, whereas the other healed rather quickly.

Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your subconjunctival hemorrhage?
Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?