Patient Comments: Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Cause

What was the cause of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Comment from: Dasneezequeen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I got subconjunctival hemorrhage from having violent fits of sneezing and coughing. Almost the entire white of my eye was red, and even before the coughing and sneezing stopped it went away. I think it is the first time it happened. It was pretty gnarly looking.

Comment from: dawnaj10, Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I got mine after taking Nasacort nasal spray, which has steroids. I took my first dose and found the subconjunctival hemorrhages within an hour of taking it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had been plagued by at least four subconjunctival hemorrhages a year for the past ten years. I had been to ophthalmologists, physicians, etc., to ensure there were no serious underlying causes. Last year my eye doctor realized that I had been on Retin-A for acne for about ten years which causes a very drying effect on the eyes even though I had not applied it anywhere near the eyes. I have been using eye wetting solution every morning and every night and have not had a sub conjunctival hemorrhage since.

Comment from: Harry, Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage from diving to the bottom of a lake as part of a lifesaving drill. Both eyes were affected, but one took its time healing, whereas the other healed rather quickly.

Comment from: MarriedLady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage when I was washing the car and then somebody passed by, then steered right into me, leaving me coughing all the dust that he had raised up.

Comment from: meateye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I've had problems with subconjunctival hemorrhages in the past. Actually I went 2 or 3 years without having any. But now it's started up again. I've had 2 within past 2 weeks. Usually I have low blood pressure, but now I'm starting to get really worried, I had some light-headedness this past week also. I also have allergies. I was working outside, laying mulch, lifting heavy shovels full of mulch for several hours the past couple days, too.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up this morning with subconjunctival hemorrhage in my right eye. I have no idea why it occurred because all I did was sleep. But in one week I have sprained an ankle, chipped a tooth, gotten a face rash, and now this ugly thing.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage under both eyes and in both eyes from being sick, and convulsive vomiting during the night. I woke in the morning with this problem. First time it has ever happened to me at 60 years of age. Looks terrible but it doesn't hurt and applying concealer is helping. I just hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage in both eyes from being sick and forcefully vomiting all day. First time it has ever happened to me at 33 years of age.

Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your subconjunctival hemorrhage?
Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?