Patient Comments: Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Cause

What was the cause of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage under both eyes and in both eyes from being sick, and convulsive vomiting during the night. I woke in the morning with this problem. First time it has ever happened to me at 60 years of age. Looks terrible but it doesn't hurt and applying concealer is helping. I just hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Jeff, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got my subconjunctival hemorrhage in both eyes from being sick and forcefully vomiting all day. First time it has ever happened to me at 33 years of age.

Comment from: chef ray, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a caustic cleaning chemical splashed into my eye. I didn't wash it out according to prescribed length of time and damaged the surface of my eye. All things went downhill from there. The next day, blood vessels broke and an infection ensued. Doctors washed my eye out the right way, unfortunately, too late! The chemical did its damage!

Comment from: FormerGardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

With blackflies and black soldier flies in my garden and pyoderma gangrene with a staph infection on my leg, I went out and gardened. I was stung and developed larva in the wound. With doctors that refused to believe I had larva, I am now developing river blindness. The larva are eating the white part of my eyes. Eventually they will do so much damage I will be blinded. Both doxycycline and ivermectin are not killing enough of the larva. Because the doctors treating it don't really believe I have this, they are not being aggressive enough. I am probably going to be blinded soon.

Comment from: blindedbythelight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was driving my car in blinding sunlight for at least a half hour. I had no sunglasses with me and suddenly felt my left eye really hurting most likely from the sun and straining my eyes so as to prevent myself from getting into a driving accident. As I got off the exit ramp I felt my eye burst like a spatter effect and I immediately looked into my mirror and saw that my eye was blood red. I have never had this happen in my life. Then, my friends told me that I had a blood vessel burst and it would go away in 10 to 14 days. I have low blood pressure and the only change in my life was a flu shot that I had a week prior to the incident. So I'm just going to chalk it up to the sun as my gut instinct.

Comment from: tonyccc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had subconjunctival hemorrhage several times and it usually goes within 12 days. It clears outside first and closer to the eye ball last. The only precaution you take is not to have a hot bath because your blood pressure goes up and worsens the problem, and to avoid alcohol for the same reason.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had subconjunctival hemorrhage multiple times, maybe 4 to 5 a year. Today's is by far the worse. All I did was barely touch a Q-Tip to my right eye to get a speck of mascara out. I have done this before with no adverse effects. The blood actually went on both sides of the pupil and pooled in the front lower part beneath the sclera. I have had pain in my eyes at various times over the last few years.

Comment from: Aussie, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I drank too much, which caused my subconjunctival hemorrhage. I fell asleep and then woke up to myself vomiting around 3 a.m. The next morning, a quarter of my left eye was bright red.

Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your subconjunctival hemorrhage?
Subconjunctival Hemorrhage - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your subconjunctival hemorrhage?