Patient Comments: Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sty (stye).

Comment from: Yolandam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 49 year old female. I had my first stye earlier this year and now again. I am on antibiotic ointment as well as Cloxacillin, as I have type 2 diabetes and do not want to risk complications. I use warm compresses 3-4 times daily, which does alleviate the pain. I am under a lot of stress as we are moving and have a daughter with serious health problems. I am hoping that it will clear up within a week, as my previous stye did. It is very red, swollen, painful and my vision is blurred. I definitely recommend seeing a doctor because eye problems should not be neglected.

Comment from: mariia isabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had a stye for twelve days. My doctor prescribed antibiotics, warm compresses and an ointment. I still have a big red bump on my right eye. Tomorrow an ophthalmologist will make a small incision to drain it. It is very uncomfortable and ugly.

Comment from: ouchystye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had this stye since the last week in July. I followed the hot compress technique with an optical antibiotic. The doctor checked me on Monday of this week and said the stye was going away. Uh, no. It has come back even worse than before! It is painful to blink, and my eye is really hurting. I'm going back to the doctor today, and I hope that they will lance it, which I originally asked them to do.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

I am now 53 years of age. When I was growing up, from the age of 5 until I was in my teenage years, I had two styes on each eye lid at a time. It looked as if someone had hit me. It was very hard to see out of my eyes, and I spent a lot of time away from school. I remember they were very painful and sore, and as soon as one eye would clear up, the other would get styes.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I am a 61-year-old woman who has never had a stye before this year. I developed a very bad virus in early January of this year. At that time, I complained to my doctor about pain in my left eye and that both of my eyes appeared to be red around the area of my eyelashes. I was told nothing was wrong. My left eye looked sleepy and the people I work with commented how tired I always looked. I visited an eye doctor and was also told nothing was wrong. Finally, in early July, I saw another eye doctor and was told I had Blepharitis and was put on a course of steroid drops and eye cream along with washing my eyelids at night with a baby shampoo solution. After three weeks, I returned to the eye doctor and was told I had a stye under my lid. The doctor drained the stye and now I look like I had a fight and lost. My left eye is terribly swollen, very black and blue and still oozing a little blood.

Published: July 09

I have experienced a plethora of styes in my lifetime. When I get them, they are huge, red, extremely sore, and often need antibiotics from a doctor. These kinds of styes are so big that I have difficulty seeing out of the infected eye. I use hot compresses, "stye eye" drops, and often an ointment to get rid of them, but they often last for several weeks.

Published: July 01

I had what appeared to be a sty right at the base of lower eyelashes. It had pus under the surface, but it stayed there for three or four years. There was no pain or swelling. After three or four years, the sty began to rupture on its own. I did express the pus. The consistency of the pus was very oily and slippery, very hard to grasp. After the main oil plug was removed, the sty started to drain more freely on its own and it was easier to express the contents. After putting an optical antibiotic ointment on it at bedtime, the sty was 97 percent gone after 24 hours of the initial rupture.

Published: June 26

I am 50 years old and have just recovered from what I was told was an internal sty. It looked like a red bump on my lower eyelid, but I noticed a white bump inside the lid. I had it about two days with a little discomfort, when on the second night I awoke to pain around my eyeball. I got up and used a very warm compress over and over for an hour and a half. As it was a comforting relief of the pain. The next morning I had to be at a hospital for a family member. The sty decided to break there. It ran all over my eyeball all day and was painful, but there was nothing I could do about it till I got home. I just dotted it with kleenex. A doctor that was attending my relative suggested I get an antibiotic ointment. When I got home, (later that night) I cleaned my eye, (it was already feeling better.) and it continued to heal without any medication. I still have a small white bump inside my eyelid, that I am waiting to go away. It's embarrassing. Everyone thought I was contagious and would not touch me or any of my belongings. (Except for the doctor I met). I washed my hands every chance I had and tried to never touch it.

Sty - Home Remedy Question: Did you try a home remedy that helped treat your sty?
Sty - Treatment Question: Did you try a treatment for sty that helped?
Sty - Prevention Question: Do you do anything special to prevent a sty?
Sty - Diagnosis Question: Were you ever diagnosed with a sty?
Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sty (stye).
Sty (Stye) - Causes Question: What were the causes of your sty?
Sty (Stye) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you were suffering from a sty?