Patient Comments: Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sty (stye).

Comment from: Anna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

This is my third sty this year.I get it the next day I touch/rub my eyes with dirty hands. I guess I have very sensitive eyes. Unfortunately for my eye health, I have very very thick and long eyelashes, and you can barely see the bump, but it hurts really bad. It fades away after 2 days or so, and I hope this one I have right now does that as well.

Comment from: therandomdude, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

It started out pretty small and wasn't a problem at all. The only real problem was that my tear dot felt a bit itchy even though the sty was inside the eyelid. To see it, I had to flip my eyelid a bit. But then it started getting bigger and closing my eyes rapidly or blinking became an annoyance. It didn't hurt having it there – it was just a small annoyance.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had styes all of my life. I have had to have surgery on one of them. Can you say painful? I get them every summer: about two or three of them. They pop on their own after about two weeks.

Published: July 23

Fourteen months ago my husband had a brain hemorrhage and a stroke. I felt so strong during the month he was in neuroscience ICU and on a respirator and had tubes coming out of every part of his body. They did three brain surgeries and prepared me for the fact that he was not going to make it. I have always had a stress disorder. However we are not financially doomed. I am so depressed and can't seem to stop having flash backs of almost losing him. He made it but in some aspects is not the same.

Comment from: lol1234, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had a stye for one week. My stye was positive for MRSA. I have had two MRSA infections in the past three months. I am under a lot of stress and have systemic lupus. My suggestion is: If you have a stye that doesn't go away, consider MRSA, which can be life-threatening.

Comment from: Ala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I suffered from styes a lot growing up. I used to have one after the other. The only thing that took care of them forever was a seven-day course of injections (not sure what they were ... they were supposed to boost my immune system). That worked.

Comment from: Antonia, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 16

I have a 7-year-old who is going on her fourth sty in about two months. I also put the warm compresses and have been prescribed an ointment to put on that helps drain them a little. I feel I do the best that I can to prevent them, but it is hard to keep a 7-year-old from touching her face. It is very uncomfortable for her, never mind the way they look. I try to let her wear sunglasses to keep from touching them. I have contacted her doctor again, and they say there is nothing they can give her to help them from coming back. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: char, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 60 year old female and experiencing my first sty on my lower eyelid. I used prescription eye drops for the infection in my eye and then antibiotics. It is very slowly getting a bit smaller but is still red around the edges and very white and looks like a very large white head. I too have been told by both my doctor and my ophthalmologist to do the hot compresses and so far it is looking the same. My ophthalmologist said that he would not lance it until it got very hard if it didn't go away on its own. It is very interesting that there is nothing to dry something like this up.

Sty - Home Remedy Question: Did you try a home remedy that helped treat your sty?
Sty - Treatment Question: Did you try a treatment for sty that helped?
Sty - Prevention Question: Do you do anything special to prevent a sty?
Sty - Diagnosis Question: Were you ever diagnosed with a sty?
Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sty (stye).
Sty (Stye) - Causes Question: What were the causes of your sty?
Sty (Stye) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have when you were suffering from a sty?