What other names is Strontium known by?
Atomic number 38, Chlorure de Strontium, Chlorure de Strontium-89, Citrate de Strontium, Estroncio, Gluconate de Strontium, Numéro Atomique 38, Ranélate de Strontium, Stable Strontium, Strontium Chloride, Strontium-89 Chloride, Strontium Citrate, Strontium Gluconate, Strontium Ranelate, Strontium Stable.
What is Strontium?
Strontium is an element. It is used as medicine.
- Bone pain related to cancer. A special prescription form of strontium is given by injection for this use.
- Sensitive teeth. Strontium chloride is added to some toothpaste for this use.
Possibly Effective for...
- Treating osteoporosis ("bone thinning") in postmenopausal women. A special form of strontium called strontium ranelate is used. This form of strontium is not used in dietary supplements. It's not known if the strontium contained in dietary supplements is effective for osteoporosis.
- Treating prostate cancer that is unresponsive to other treatments. A prescription form of strontium is given by injection for this use.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Dental cavities, osteoarthritis, and other conditions. There is also no reliable information that strontium contained in dietary supplements is effective for any condition.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).