Patient Comments: Stroke - Signs

Did you notice warning signs before you had a stroke?

A Doctor's View on Stroke Symptoms - Typical

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Stroke symptoms and signs often come on suddenly and may include weakness, numbness, tingling, or paralysis, usually on one side of the body. Other symptoms may include:

• mental confusion,
  • severe headache,
  • dizziness,
  • trouble with gait and balance,
  • problems with vision,
  • trouble swallowing, and
  • difficulty speaking or understanding speech.
Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

Prior to having a stroke, I had a severe headache, worst one ever experienced and extreme sensitivity to light.

Comment from: old is new, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had an unusual type of headache and severe pulsating pain in right shoulder continuing up the neck to my head, resulting in basal ganglia stroke.

Comment from: lizineaston, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

It was 8 pm, and all of a sudden I was very tired. I told my husband I was going to bed. I went upstairs, put on my night clothes and suddenly got a terrible pain in the pack of my head which radiated to my ears. I knew something was wrong. I went to my husband's night stand and got two aspirin and swallowed them. I headed for the bathroom, was walking into walls to get there. I called for my husband. He came upstairs, could not understand what I was saying. He called 911, the emergency medical technicians (EMTs) came while he was on the phone with 911 operator. I was rushed 6 blocks to the hospital. In minutes I had a CT scan and was given the clot buster drug. In less than an hour my speech was much improved. I had some weakness in my left arm. That was a Wednesday, by the following Friday afternoon I went home. Seven weeks later I am 95% improved.

Stroke - Symptoms Question: What stroke symptoms did you experience?
Stroke - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have after a stroke?
Stroke - Recovery Question: Please explain your experience with stroke recovery.
Stroke - Type Question: What type of stroke did you suffer?
Stroke - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for stroke? If so, what are they and what are your concerns?