Patient Comments: Stroke - Symptoms

What stroke symptoms did you experience?

A Doctor's View on Stroke Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Stroke symptoms and signs include numbness, vision changes, weakness, and difficulty walking, speaking, and understanding. Stroke symptoms occur when the blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted. Prompt recognition and treatment of stroke symptoms offers the best chance to preserve brain function and ward off potential death and disability. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Kmack327, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

One week prior, I was very weak and jut needed to sit down most of the time. I could almost feel a different kind of blood flow to my head and also experienced vomiting. The night I had multiple strokes on left brain I thought I had a migraine and took Imitrex.

Comment from: shortylil10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Just before I turned 25, I had a stroke. I was working at a fast-food place and my shift was two hours from ending when I started feeling dizzy. I didn't think anything of it then. It went away, but I couldn't see from my left eye. I could not read the left side of the tickets. I let my manager know that I couldn't see, and I thought maybe in a couple of seconds I would regain my sight. My sight returned after a couple of minutes, but then I lost feeling in my arm and then all of my face.

Comment from: Unknown, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was at work when I felt very dizzy and felt that I couldn't stand up for more than a second. So I asked my boss if I could go to the emergency yet I couldn't drive so I waited for my husband. The doctors asked me what I had so I told them my dizziness and numbness on my right side, by then I had a headache that wasn't too bad. After four hours, they didn't find a reason why I should stay. They thought it was a migraine, so I went home. The next day, I woke up with my right side of my body immobile and my speech slurred, so I had another visit to the emergency room. They said it was just stress. Again I was sent home, and five days later, I went to my general doctor and he told me to go again. So I did, and I was diagnosed with a stroke. But because I am 29-year-old female, they didn't think I was having a stroke.

Stroke - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have after a stroke?
Stroke - Recovery Question: Please explain your experience with stroke recovery.
Stroke - Signs Question: Did you notice warning signs before you had a stroke?
Stroke - Type Question: What type of stroke did you suffer?