Patient Comments: Stroke - Symptoms

What stroke symptoms did you experience?

A Doctor's View on Stroke Symptoms

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Stroke symptoms and signs include numbness, vision changes, weakness, and difficulty walking, speaking, and understanding. Stroke symptoms occur when the blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted. Prompt recognition and treatment of stroke symptoms offers the best chance to preserve brain function and ward off potential death and disability. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: AJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I was extremely dizzy, tried to balance myself and saw that the right side of my body was collapsing under me. It lasted about 15 seconds. I took aspirin right away and went to the emergency room on advice of my nurse. Bloodwork and CT were normal. I started working about 6 months ago. It took me a while to get used to being on my feet 8 hours a day. Past few months I have had leg aches and cramps at night.

Comment from: g'ma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was receiving chemotherapy for the 3rd round. About 3/4th of the way through I got very hot, water running down my head. I got very weak on my right side but had all thought processes. When trying to speak with anybody it sounded like 'marble mouth'. Very scary. Doctor thinks chemotherapy might have triggered the stroke.

Comment from: HeyJude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was at home, sitting on the couch when I began to feel a sensation across my upper lip. A little later that area became numb. I waited too long to go to the emergency room. Four hours passed until it hit me that this was getting worse. I was hospitalized for 18 days.

Comment from: Kmack327, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

One week prior, I was very weak and jut needed to sit down most of the time. I could almost feel a different kind of blood flow to my head and also experienced vomiting. The night I had multiple strokes on left brain I thought I had a migraine and took Imitrex.

Comment from: margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was out the day before with my family, it was a hot day and I had to buy a hat, for the sun was hot. The next morning I sat at the side of my bed and my mind went totally blank for a second I think. I started choking and my daughter asked me what was wrong. I could not respond properly and was thinking, she should just give me a minute. She said," Mom, we are calling 911, I think you are having a stroke!" She later told me my mouth was funny and I had slurred speech. I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). My whole life changed, my outlook changed, now three years later I still have left sided weakness, I do Tai Chi 4 times a week, but have lots of hip pain from my osteoporosis. I am still thankful for my daughter being there and knowing what to do. Had I been home by myself, I may not be writing this today! Otherwise I am in great health.

Comment from: Carolyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

When I had a stroke on my right side, I get this feeling I never had before.

Comment from: Canuck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed a skin rash after having a CVA (cerebrovascular accident).

Comment from: ramaiha, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My grandpa is 93 years old and he is suffering from stroke caused by blood pressure and he lost his body balance, right arm motion and speech, but does have some movements in the right leg. Left half of his body works normally, the neurologist said that there was a leak of blood in the thalamus part of the brain. He had the stroke attack 7 days back, presently he is bedridden and the neurologist said he will be in this state as long as he lives.

Stroke - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have after a stroke?
Stroke - Recovery Question: Please explain your experience with stroke recovery.
Stroke - Signs Question: Did you notice warning signs before you had a stroke?
Stroke - Type Question: What type of stroke did you suffer?
Stroke - Risk Factors Question: Do you have any risk factors for stroke? If so, what are they and what are your concerns?