Patient Comments: Stress - Physical Symptoms

Symptoms of stress can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your physical symptoms?

Comment from: poe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I take care of my 43 year old daughter on a small budget. I am so stressed out that she should have a life. She was molested when young. All summer I had tension headaches I normally do not have. I was very irritated, I felt like my mind was not in control. I finally woke up one night with my arms outstretched and wanted to get up but couldn't. I had a lot of test at the emergency room and they stated I had a headache. I sure do not remember having one. I also had numbness in my two left toes and two left fingers, I could not eat; my mind is "not good".

Comment from: Lulu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

When I am stressed, I have anxiety, constant fatigue, no energy, loss of appetite, excessive smoking, a short temper, prone to tears or outbursts, and excessive spending.

Published: July 23

When I'm really stressed I usually feel like there are 100 other things wrong with me. My chest hurts, it's hard to breathe, my shoulders and neck hurt. I also wake up sometimes when I've just fallen asleep to my heart pounding so hard I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I'm always suprised at what a big physical toll stress can take on your body. It's scary. Exercise is the only thing that really makes me feel better. I don't think I have the energy, but I push myself and find that I feel so much better after.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My symtoms of stress include feeling tired all the time, not sleeping, sore throat(just this week) aching arms and legs, weight gain in the last 6 months, and pain across neck and shoulders.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I'm 40 years old. Stay at home mom with a two year old. I guess that explains it, but I'm in the same surroundings daily. Some days worse than others to find myself ignoring baby and yelling at husband for no reason and constant crying. Like a week out of every month I cannot find myself. Is there something wrong that can be fixed with a vitamin?

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

When I am stressed, I suffer with hair loss.

Comment from: valmehar, Published: September 12

For the past 4 months I have been living with a full body itch, I have been overeating (gained about 10 pounds) and have mood swings. I believe it is stress. I feel horrible, and don't know what to do. I work very hard and have a 3 year old. I am beginning to think I should get help from a specialist.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 27

I can always tell when I am stressed. My neck and shoulder aches, I get slight headaches, I break out in hives, and I have trouble concentrating on what I am doing. I feel like my mind is wondering all over the place on overload. Oh, and my biggest problem with stress are all those sleepless nights where I just toss and turn. What I do to try and alleviate my stress is tell myself to slow down, one thing at a time, and convince myself that everything will get done in due time.

Stress - Management Question: What stress management techniques have worked for you?
Stress - Effect on Health Question: Do you have a physical or psychological condition that is made worse by stress? Please share your story.
Stress - Teen Symptoms Question: If you're under 20, what makes you stressed out? How do you deal with your symptoms?