Patient Comments: Stress - Physical Symptoms

Symptoms of stress can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your physical symptoms?

Published: May 30

Chest pains, pain in between shoulder blades and neck, stomach problems, panic attacks, high blood pressure and rapid heart beat.

Comment from: Out of my mind, 35-44 Female Published: September 04

I'm under a great deal of stress right now I have not had a bite of food for a week, just liquids. I can't sleep, I feel like I'm just lost, and I don't know where to go or who to turn to. All I can do is cry when I'm alone, but I have to put on the happy face for my kids and friends and family.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 27

When I get stressed, I feel nauseous. I have headaches, memory problems, I grind my teeth, and have trouble getting back to sleep if I awake. I am drinking more alcohol and my family says I am a different person when I am off work for the summer. Now that school has started again, I am back to teaching, and I get very weepy. I cry, and I am irritable. I have high blood pressure and am seeing doctors both for physical and emotional issues. I seem to worry about everything, which makes what used to be easy, take longer and longer to accomplish. I am very good at procrastinating the things I need to do, which is what I am doing right now!

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 21

When I'm stressed, I get a dull ache in my chest and abdominal area. I also feel weak. These symptoms come and go; sometimes I feel fine.

Published: August 01

I have been under prolonged stress and I get chest pain, depression, wild mood swings, tired all the time, but can't sleep a full nights sleep. Now the doctor said that my thyroid is way up there and I may need hormone therapy.

Published: July 09

I have lower back pain and find that it gets worse when I am stressed about something or someone's behavior.

Stress - Management Question: What stress management techniques have worked for you?
Stress - Effect on Health Question: Do you have a physical or psychological condition that is made worse by stress? Please share your story.
Stress - Teen Symptoms Question: If you're under 20, what makes you stressed out? How do you deal with your symptoms?