Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Diagnosis

How was your strep throat diagnosed?

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had strep throat when I was a child but it wasn't so bad. Now I'm 25 and this whole year I've had really really bad episodes of strep, already 5-6 times, everytime with very high fever (to 40 degrees C). Needless to say, this whole year has been a nightmare! Now I am sick again. When I am healthy, I will have the tonsils removed (at last, because it's so hard to get an operation nowadays, at least where I live). I can't wait for it. Strep is one of the worst things in the world!

Comment from: Soulfiregirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I went to bed on Saturday night and woke up Sunday with the worst throat pain and headache in my life. My body ached and I had chills. Went to the doctor on Monday. He swabbed my throat and yep. It's strep. He gave me Amoxicillin. It's Wednesday and the headache and fever is gone but my throat still hurts like mad. I clench my fists every time I swallow! I just want this gone! I don't even have tonsils so how on earth did I get this dreadful illness.

Comment from: Sickbaby, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My son had two negative strep tests over a three week period. Finally, today the white patches were noticed and antibiotics were prescribed. The doctor today didn't even do a swab, he just wrote out the prescription. The testing isn't always reliable so it's best to keep asking if you think strep is a possibility.

Comment from: I_Hate_Being_Sick, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have sore throat for 2 days and it hurts when I breathe now feels like some dust is in my lungs which there isn't any so I think it's strep throat. Btw if you start getting throat problems try putting some salt in warm water and gurgle it 1 drink at a time but it might relieve pain for 20 min. Then do it again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Saturday I began to feel sore throat pain. By Sunday it was the worst ever! I went to a clinic and they did a rapid strep test. Positive. They even showed me what my throat looked like. White spots and it hurt so much to swallow. When I was a child my tonsils were removed. This pain was so intense it felt as if my tonsils were still there! I was prescribed Augmentin 875mg 2x per day. I have had a few doses and still have throat pain. Can't wait for this to pass!

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?