Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Diagnosis

How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?

Comment from: Jun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I submitted to a throat culture and 10 minutes later, the results came back positive.

Comment from: Sheza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I went away for a weekend holiday and returned home with a severe headache and was unable to swallow. I then noticed that there were white patches on the back of my swollen throat. I proceeded to see my doctor who then quickly diagnosed that I had a strep infection. I was prescribed antibiotics and rest. I had the worse taste I could imagine, as all I could taste was the pus and was unable to discharge it as it was very difficult to cough, let alone spit it out. My advice: If you feel the symptoms, get it treated early as I did!

Comment from: JonW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Terrible illness; throat felt scratchy Friday. I was diagnosed with strep throat Saturday and had penicillin shot. Sunday night now, I still feel terrible.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

This has been the worst three days of my life. It started Saturday evening and was diagnosed on Tuesday. I had a fever, headache, and swallowing really hurt. I started the antibiotics on Tuesday night and still don't feel so good. If you have these symptoms, go to the doctor right away. I haven't slept properly for five days now. You really don't want this.

Comment from: HeatherThorup, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I took amoxicillin as well as 1000mg of Tylenol every six hours and 800 mg of Ibuprofen every six hours as well. I also did lots of heat packs on my neck and cheeks. I gargled warm water with salt, used Chloraseptic spray and a warm towel with alcohol on it wrapped around my neck.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

As a child, I would get a lot of strep throat, even through my adult years. When I was 30 (I'm now 35), I developed strep again, but this time around it was the most aggressive strep I've ever had. It started on a Monday. I was given medicine and by Thursday the pain was worse and my tonsils swelled so bad that it restricted my airway. I was rushed to the emergency room with a 105-degree fever and a rash all over my body. The ER doctor said my tonsils were the biggest tonsils he's ever seen. I had them removed that evening. Knock on wood, it's been five years since I've had strep.

Comment from: Gillian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I became aware on Sunday evening of a headache I had not experienced before, very painful. Went to bed but was unable to sleep well. The next day I awoke with fever and vomiting. Spent most of the day on sofa feeling very ill. Tuesday my husband drove me to our doctor surgery where bloods were taken and antibiotics, painkillers were prescribed. I spent days sleeping on and off, body aching, fever, night sweats, very difficult few days. Thursday my doctor phoned and confirmed strep throat. It's now Sunday a week later I am beginning to feel better, I get fatigued at times but not lying down as much. This has been a very difficult week for me as I am a working mum of two teenagers who is very active and very rarely sits down. Good luck to you if you're reading this and you have strep throat, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: Auser, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

1) Went to the doctor and got a test by putting a swab on my throat. 2) Test Results were found and I took medicine. 3) It started to get better.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.