Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Diagnosis

How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?

Comment from: Sir Kyle, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I got strep throat. I never get sick. I started feeling a little sore last Tuesday, also noticed a few little white spots in my throat so I knew it was an infection (I figured it was strep based on pictures from online). Being me, I tried to fight it out. I was at home bed resting, drinking lots of water even though it hurt terribly, I was eating a variety of soups, drinking honey tea with lemon, gargling warm salt water and occasional peroxide, washing my hands 5 times more often than usual. I even bought a brand new pack of toothbrushes and used a new one each time I brushed to keep any lingering infections out. I saw and felt improvement on my right side on Sunday night, I thought I had beaten it. I woke up yesterday morning (now Monday) and my left tonsil and lymph node in my neck was rock hard and causing the worst radiating pain throughout my neck/face/mouth/throat, it was all connected, and it just stabbed each time I swallowed. I can honestly say this is one of the most painful things I have ever had to endure. My entire body would jump each time I swallowed, at this point even water hurt. I had so much pressure in my head and the pain was just radiating, nothing was helping. Monday night I got no sleep, rolling in bed sweating from my entire body, gargling warm salt water and having to jump in the shower to wash off my sweat. Tuesday I went to the doctor, was in and out in maybe 10 minutes. He gave me penicillin, 500 mg to take 4 times daily for 10 days. So far I have only taken 2 since I got them this morning, but the swelling from the infection has gone down and the pain is nearly unnoticeable. The doctor told me I had a bacterial infection based on the swab test. He said had it been a viral infection, it may have passed on its own.

Comment from: Jun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I submitted to a throat culture and 10 minutes later, the results came back positive.

Comment from: Sheza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I went away for a weekend holiday and returned home with a severe headache and was unable to swallow. I then noticed that there were white patches on the back of my swollen throat. I proceeded to see my doctor who then quickly diagnosed that I had a strep infection. I was prescribed antibiotics and rest. I had the worse taste I could imagine, as all I could taste was the pus and was unable to discharge it as it was very difficult to cough, let alone spit it out. My advice: If you feel the symptoms, get it treated early as I did!

Comment from: Myburgh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I have had supraventricular tachycardia for about 6 years now. The only thing that works for me is to let out all the air in my lungs. Then hold in till you feel you are about to pass out then inhale quickly; and it is gone. Hope this works for you guys.

Comment from: JonW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Terrible illness; throat felt scratchy Friday. I was diagnosed with strep throat Saturday and had penicillin shot. Sunday night now, I still feel terrible.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

As a child, I would get a lot of strep throat, even through my adult years. When I was 30 (I'm now 35), I developed strep again, but this time around it was the most aggressive strep I've ever had. It started on a Monday. I was given medicine and by Thursday the pain was worse and my tonsils swelled so bad that it restricted my airway. I was rushed to the emergency room with a 105-degree fever and a rash all over my body. The ER doctor said my tonsils were the biggest tonsils he's ever seen. I had them removed that evening. Knock on wood, it's been five years since I've had strep.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

This has been the worst three days of my life. It started Saturday evening and was diagnosed on Tuesday. I had a fever, headache, and swallowing really hurt. I started the antibiotics on Tuesday night and still don't feel so good. If you have these symptoms, go to the doctor right away. I haven't slept properly for five days now. You really don't want this.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.