Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Treatments

What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?

Comment from: sd304, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

In addition to steroids and a Z pack, my doctor suggested a few home remedies to help with the pain. First was liquid Ibuprofen (children's....I am an adult) because it coats your throat directly. Second was to use Listerine mouthwash. It numbs your throat better than any cough drop.

Comment from: Mollybug, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

On a Friday, I began feeling blah with a mild sore throat. By that evening, I had a fever of 101.8 F, chills, body aches, a headache, and severe sore throat. I passed it off as the flu and took some ibuprofen at night; the fever was resolved. I woke up during the night and could hardly swallow. The next day, I felt miserable and had no appetite. I took ibuprofen, which relieved the symptoms somewhat, although the fever returned that night, and I felt worse. Sunday I still felt miserable, with throat pain that was unbearable. I went to the doctor, who confirmed strep. I took Azithromycin for five days.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

The only thing to help my throat is drinking tea at room temperature. It is calming to my throat. It is the only thing that has helped.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?