Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.

A Doctor's View on Strep Throat Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Common strep throat symptoms should last from two to five days. Did you know that if a strep throat infection is not medically treated you can suffer complications such as a sinus infection, cellulitis, or an abscess of the tonsils and pharynx? Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Arrgggh my throat..., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I found myself without any medication with a strep throat so bad it made me google a solution and here I am. Everything hurt, like a wire cutting my neck and someone had punched my voice box. I could barely speak and had a fever. I had tried ice, salt, eating honey, and nothing helped. Then someone made me a ginger tea and left me to fend for myself for the day. The ginger was so strong my lips tingled and tongue burnt. It hurt to drink it. Basically about an inch or 2 of ginger root chopped up into 1/4 inch lumps with boiling water on and a spoon of honey/sugar whatever. If it doesn't highly burn tongue, add more. The pain was bad on my throat, I could only drink half, but five minutes later the bite of the throat pain had gone. This allowed be to cough and untangle the phlegm off my voice box without squealing like a pig. I bought a bag of painkillers and sprays and lozenges today, still went back to burningly spicy ginger tea. Pain was gone so I could sleep two hours. Try it, you will thank me, one of the few things that actually works. It won't work for kids as they can't swallow it; burns tongue and lips a bit for a few minutes.

Comment from: CC, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I experienced sore throat, headache, upset stomach, and fever. All of which were listed as symptoms of strep throat.

Comment from: enr92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

This is my first time with strep throat, and let me just say I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I started having sore muscles Sunday night, and brushed it off because I had worked out two days before. I woke up the next morning with the muscles sore, fatigue, and a very sore throat. It hurt to even swallow my saliva. I developed a low-grade fever on Tuesday. Symptoms seemed to get worse as the day progressed. I went to the doctor this morning (Wednesday). He tested me for strep which actually came back negative, but the doctor was still certain I had strep due to the occasional inaccuracy of the test and the fact that I showed all the classic symptoms of strep. He started me on 10-day amoxicillin. I took one pill already but the doctor said that sometimes it takes a couple days for symptoms to start improving. Looks like I'll be out of work longer than I thought. Super.

Comment from: PowerOn, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

This is my second time getting strep throat in two years. I am 44 years old. I have low-grade fever 101.5. I also started getting the chills and elevated heart rate of 100 to 104 just sitting doing nothing. I went to the doctor who did strep throat test, which came back positive. It was the last thing in the world I thought. For the second day I am on penicillin and still have elevated temperature and sweating, still have elevated heart rate just sitting in chair and temperature is 100. Well, I am at the doctor's to get elevated heart rate checked before EKG just to be safe.

Comment from: Jgrip89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am on day 4 with strep throat and so far this is the worst. I felt symptoms Thursday, went to the doctor Friday and started antibiotics immediately. Today I began having a very runny nose and tonight my throat feels extremely dry (despite drinking tons of water) and feels like I"m being stabbed, making me cough quite often. Cough drops and hot tea have been my saving graces so far. I tried ibuprofen and it made me nauseous.

Comment from: Mitch, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I went to the doctor for a sinus infection on January 5, returned for pinkeye on January 9, and got Bactrim for the sinus and eye drops for the pink eye. The Bactrim dose was over on January 12, and the eye drops go one more day. All of my symptoms (congestion, post nasal drip, headache, aching cheeks, and cough) have gone away except a sore throat. The soreness is minimal when I rise, and increases during the day. I have been taking Advil for the soreness. This is a new experience, and I may go back to the doctor if the soreness persists, in spite of no other strep throat symptoms. I wonder if it is possible Bactrim side effect.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?