Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I started getting chills and fever on Friday. My throat got sore on Saturday and by Sunday I was in pain. I went to see the doctor on Sunday and he prescribed an antibiotic (Amoxicillin) 3 times a day for 14 days. I have never experienced this kind of throat pain before. Just to swallow my own saliva is so painful that I look forward to sleeping so that I am unaware of the pain. No pain killer was prescribed but I have been taking Tylenol 3 but it doesn't seem to be working. Interesting that as you get older the pain and soreness lasts longer and is more intense. Nothing helps, not honey, not any kind of throat lozenges (that would just burn) tea, cold drink, nothing alleviates the pain. Doctor tells me to drink warm liquids but even that hurts.

Comment from: andrewscore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I began having a sore throat on the right side three days ago. Each day, the pain got worse and then started waking me up at night. It extended to the left side. I then began to feel feverish. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor immediately agreed that I almost certainly had strep. He prescribed Zithromax and also asked me to use Advil for the pain. It's been about 30 hours since my first dose. I don't have a fever anymore, but I still have plenty of throat pain.

Comment from: Jon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I currently have strep throat. I was diagnosed with it yesterday, but my throat began hurting 3 days ago. I just started Azithromycin yesterday and so far, I have had no relief. My symptoms include swollen tonsils and throat, difficulty swallowing, severe headache, chills and muscle aches. The only thing helping me out is staying on a constant dose of 800mg of Motrin. Then my headache subsides. I have had to take Motrin for 4 days now, and can't wait until I start recovering.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

This is the most painful experience I have ever had to endure. The pain is frightening. It started on Friday with what felt like a regular sore throat but nothing I tried offered any relief. By Saturday night, the pain was so intense I was considering the emergency room. Sunday morning, a family doctor diagnosed strep throat and prescribed antibiotics and Tylenol 3. The Tylenol has had very little effect. I did get some relief at one point thanks to four extra strength Advil; I'd rather not take that many painkillers however. Web searches suggest honey, salt water and the like ... nothing works!

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: November 04

Comment from: lisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My body started to ache on a Thursday evening. That night, I did not sleep at all because of a high fever. On Friday, I was in bed all day with a fever and all-over aches (my throat did not hurt yet). On Saturday, I still had a 102 fever, and I woke up that day and could not swallow anything. I felt miserable. I had a lot of nausea too. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I had the worst pain in my throat ever. Strep is one of the worst things to get. Nothing helps; it's a constant burning sensation that makes you want to scream. I've been taking amoxicillin for three days.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I began to develop a sore throat last Friday, Aug. 8th while vacationing in Germany. I could feel the tingling sensation beginning. By Monday (3 days later), the pain had intensified to the pain a bad sore throat usually brings, so that was nothing new to me just some pain. On Tuesday Aug 12th, I left the city I was in to go to Hamburg and upon arrival I could tell this was much more than a bad sore throat. The pain was getting to the point of something I never had experienced. The symptoms all pointed to strep. I consumed lots and lots of tea with honey and lemon to help which did a bit. Avoid chocolate or acidic drinks. Even that still hurts and now its August 17th. I went to seek medical attention (August 15th), a week after everything started, and was prescribed Amoxicillin to remove the bacteria (1 week dosage) as well as strong lozenges to soothe. Everything is about 50% better now and it is exactly 9 days later since it all started. I'm sure by Friday my throat should be back to 100% meaning 2 weeks from start to finish. Never had strep. Never want it again. Self-diagnosis is easy: You don't have a runny nose or cough yet you experience intense pain in the throat, intense pain when swallowing even own saliva, a bit of fever. The doctor could also do a blood test and within ten minutes check the bacteria levels in your blood rather than a strep test which can take a day to receive results.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?