Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.

A Doctor's View on Strep Throat Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Common strep throat symptoms should last from two to five days. Did you know that if a strep throat infection is not medically treated you can suffer complications such as a sinus infection, cellulitis, or an abscess of the tonsils and pharynx? Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Jgrip89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am on day 4 with strep throat and so far this is the worst. I felt symptoms Thursday, went to the doctor Friday and started antibiotics immediately. Today I began having a very runny nose and tonight my throat feels extremely dry (despite drinking tons of water) and feels like I"m being stabbed, making me cough quite often. Cough drops and hot tea have been my saving graces so far. I tried ibuprofen and it made me nauseous.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was half way through work on Tuesday when the stabbing pain while swallowing started. I woke up on Wednesday feverish, exhausted and mute. I went to the doctor that day. He did a quick test for strep throat and came back positive. I was his 4th adult case that day. He prescribed 875 mg of amoxicillin, 2 per day and ibuprofen for pain and fever reduction. Ibuprofen was ineffective at best. 3 days on the amoxicillin and there is no change. It takes 3 to 5 days for it to kick in, I was told. I have tried everything to reduce the swallowing pain. No luck, I am miserable!

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I started getting chills and fever on Friday. My throat got sore on Saturday and by Sunday I was in pain. I went to see the doctor on Sunday and he prescribed an antibiotic (Amoxicillin) 3 times a day for 14 days. I have never experienced this kind of throat pain before. Just to swallow my own saliva is so painful that I look forward to sleeping so that I am unaware of the pain. No pain killer was prescribed but I have been taking Tylenol 3 but it doesn't seem to be working. Interesting that as you get older the pain and soreness lasts longer and is more intense. Nothing helps, not honey, not any kind of throat lozenges (that would just burn) tea, cold drink, nothing alleviates the pain. Doctor tells me to drink warm liquids but even that hurts.

Comment from: andrewscore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I began having a sore throat on the right side three days ago. Each day, the pain got worse and then started waking me up at night. It extended to the left side. I then began to feel feverish. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor immediately agreed that I almost certainly had strep. He prescribed Zithromax and also asked me to use Advil for the pain. It's been about 30 hours since my first dose. I don't have a fever anymore, but I still have plenty of throat pain.

Comment from: Jon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I currently have strep throat. I was diagnosed with it yesterday, but my throat began hurting 3 days ago. I just started Azithromycin yesterday and so far, I have had no relief. My symptoms include swollen tonsils and throat, difficulty swallowing, severe headache, chills and muscle aches. The only thing helping me out is staying on a constant dose of 800mg of Motrin. Then my headache subsides. I have had to take Motrin for 4 days now, and can't wait until I start recovering.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

This is the most painful experience I have ever had to endure. The pain is frightening. It started on Friday with what felt like a regular sore throat but nothing I tried offered any relief. By Saturday night, the pain was so intense I was considering the emergency room. Sunday morning, a family doctor diagnosed strep throat and prescribed antibiotics and Tylenol 3. The Tylenol has had very little effect. I did get some relief at one point thanks to four extra strength Advil; I'd rather not take that many painkillers however. Web searches suggest honey, salt water and the like ... nothing works!

Comment from: lisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My body started to ache on a Thursday evening. That night, I did not sleep at all because of a high fever. On Friday, I was in bed all day with a fever and all-over aches (my throat did not hurt yet). On Saturday, I still had a 102 fever, and I woke up that day and could not swallow anything. I felt miserable. I had a lot of nausea too. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I had the worst pain in my throat ever. Strep is one of the worst things to get. Nothing helps; it's a constant burning sensation that makes you want to scream. I've been taking amoxicillin for three days.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?