Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.

A Doctor's View on Strep Throat Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Common strep throat symptoms should last from two to five days. Did you know that if a strep throat infection is not medically treated you can suffer complications such as a sinus infection, cellulitis, or an abscess of the tonsils and pharynx? Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: PowerOn, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

This is my second time getting strep throat in two years. I am 44 years old. I have low-grade fever 101.5. I also started getting the chills and elevated heart rate of 100 to 104 just sitting doing nothing. I went to the doctor who did strep throat test, which came back positive. It was the last thing in the world I thought. For the second day I am on penicillin and still have elevated temperature and sweating, still have elevated heart rate just sitting in chair and temperature is 100. Well, I am at the doctor's to get elevated heart rate checked before EKG just to be safe.

Comment from: Jgrip89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am on day 4 with strep throat and so far this is the worst. I felt symptoms Thursday, went to the doctor Friday and started antibiotics immediately. Today I began having a very runny nose and tonight my throat feels extremely dry (despite drinking tons of water) and feels like I"m being stabbed, making me cough quite often. Cough drops and hot tea have been my saving graces so far. I tried ibuprofen and it made me nauseous.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was half way through work on Tuesday when the stabbing pain while swallowing started. I woke up on Wednesday feverish, exhausted and mute. I went to the doctor that day. He did a quick test for strep throat and came back positive. I was his 4th adult case that day. He prescribed 875 mg of amoxicillin, 2 per day and ibuprofen for pain and fever reduction. Ibuprofen was ineffective at best. 3 days on the amoxicillin and there is no change. It takes 3 to 5 days for it to kick in, I was told. I have tried everything to reduce the swallowing pain. No luck, I am miserable!

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I started getting chills and fever on Friday. My throat got sore on Saturday and by Sunday I was in pain. I went to see the doctor on Sunday and he prescribed an antibiotic (Amoxicillin) 3 times a day for 14 days. I have never experienced this kind of throat pain before. Just to swallow my own saliva is so painful that I look forward to sleeping so that I am unaware of the pain. No pain killer was prescribed but I have been taking Tylenol 3 but it doesn't seem to be working. Interesting that as you get older the pain and soreness lasts longer and is more intense. Nothing helps, not honey, not any kind of throat lozenges (that would just burn) tea, cold drink, nothing alleviates the pain. Doctor tells me to drink warm liquids but even that hurts.

Comment from: andrewscore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I began having a sore throat on the right side three days ago. Each day, the pain got worse and then started waking me up at night. It extended to the left side. I then began to feel feverish. I went to an urgent care clinic and the doctor immediately agreed that I almost certainly had strep. He prescribed Zithromax and also asked me to use Advil for the pain. It's been about 30 hours since my first dose. I don't have a fever anymore, but I still have plenty of throat pain.

Comment from: Mitch, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I went to the doctor for a sinus infection on January 5, returned for pinkeye on January 9, and got Bactrim for the sinus and eye drops for the pink eye. The Bactrim dose was over on January 12, and the eye drops go one more day. All of my symptoms (congestion, post nasal drip, headache, aching cheeks, and cough) have gone away except a sore throat. The soreness is minimal when I rise, and increases during the day. I have been taking Advil for the soreness. This is a new experience, and I may go back to the doctor if the soreness persists, in spite of no other strep throat symptoms. I wonder if it is possible Bactrim side effect.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

This is the most painful experience I have ever had to endure. The pain is frightening. It started on Friday with what felt like a regular sore throat but nothing I tried offered any relief. By Saturday night, the pain was so intense I was considering the emergency room. Sunday morning, a family doctor diagnosed strep throat and prescribed antibiotics and Tylenol 3. The Tylenol has had very little effect. I did get some relief at one point thanks to four extra strength Advil; I'd rather not take that many painkillers however. Web searches suggest honey, salt water and the like ... nothing works!

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?