Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have not had strep throat since I was a teenager. I'm 50 now. My experience was, rapid onset of a scratchy throat, dry cough, body aches, fevers chills and a terrible headache. I felt terrible and temperature kept climbing despite taking aspirin and Motrin. My doctor's office was closed because of Christmas. When my temperature spiked 102.4 I found an urgent care since I knew it was the flu, but it was strep throat with positive rapid strep test. I was placed on antibiotics etc. Finally was able to sleep for more than 1 hour! It's been 9 hours since I started the antibiotics, Tylenol and Mucinex and I slept 7 hours and my headache is gone and I can breathe through my nose again.

Comment from: Pascale, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My strep throat has been very painful... all over the body but mostly the throat, and fever. I"m only eating liquid such has apple sauce, yoghurt, honey, Lipton soup and lots of water. And after a visit to the doctor I"m on penicillin.

Comment from: Mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Whenever I get a sore throat, I check it with a flashlight. If there is pus (white spots) covering my tonsils and I have a fever, then I know I have strep throat. I get it once a year. However, if my children, aged 8 and 5, have a fever for 2 days and a sore throat, I go the doctor (even if I don"t see pus). Untreated strep throat can be very dangerous.

Comment from: dermo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I have extreme pain in the throat. It's been 4 days so far with strep throat, I can't sleep but got 1 hour last night. The problem is the pain is most extreme when you wake, and started increasing 1 day ago. The glands in my neck are very swollen and ears are aching; I'm hoping for this to end.

Comment from: meg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

One afternoon I was extremely fatigued but didn't think much about it until my throat began hurting and I felt chilled. I took my temperature and it was 103. That night I could not sleep, I had a severe headache, the worst sore throat of my life, and a rash all over my left arm and behind my left knee. The next morning I went to a walk-in clinic and the doctor swabbed my throat and confirmed strep throat.

Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?