Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Comment from: Nursing Student 2015, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had strep throat twice when I was 11 and attending public school. My symptoms were sore throat along with red spots on my soft and hard palate, and low grade fever. Now, at 22 the symptoms I had was coughing, swollen lymph nodes, headache and low fever of 101.3. My brother had the same symptoms and checked out for strep throat. I knew I had the same thing. It's crazy how much your body changes over the years. Yet you still feel lousy.

Comment from: mikee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

It's too painful to swallow solid food with strep throat. My fever is on-and-off between 37.5 and 39 degrees C. I have stabbing headaches and my whole body is also painful, muscles and joints. I have shortness of breath, at times my hearing is affected, and I can sense a lull effect. I have a little stress at my chest (especially heart area), my taste bud is so bitter. I over-perspire, especially after taking antibiotics and at night; my sweat is so sticky.

Comment from: Racine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

On 6/12 I woke with nausea, by noon I couldn't keep anything down. I thought I must have the flu and would ride it out. On Friday the 13th, I went to urgent care with a temperature of 102.4, body aches, and my neck hurt, but no sore throat. My head felt like it would explode every time I upchucked. After swabs, I found I had strep. With amoxicillin, Toradol shot for pain, and another for nausea, I thought restored health was 2 days away. It is the 17th and I still can't keep anything down for long. I was back to the doctor on the 18th to see what to do next; I'm allergic to Advil so reacted to the Toradol with hives. Benadryl and prednisone made me so wired I gave up on that on the 16th. Time to take my medicines and I am fighting to keep the crackers down. I had no idea strep acted this way.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have not had strep throat since I was a teenager. I'm 50 now. My experience was, rapid onset of a scratchy throat, dry cough, body aches, fevers chills and a terrible headache. I felt terrible and temperature kept climbing despite taking aspirin and Motrin. My doctor's office was closed because of Christmas. When my temperature spiked 102.4 I found an urgent care since I knew it was the flu, but it was strep throat with positive rapid strep test. I was placed on antibiotics etc. Finally was able to sleep for more than 1 hour! It's been 9 hours since I started the antibiotics, Tylenol and Mucinex and I slept 7 hours and my headache is gone and I can breathe through my nose again.

Comment from: Pontis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with strep throat at the age of 14 or 15. It was a ghastly, painful experience. I believe I still suffer the aftermath. I've read that it can be the cause of rheumatic fever. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis later in life (missing protein).

Comment from: surya, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

Never in my life have I had this kind of pain, it is like someone is passing a knife when I swallow. This is my fifth day of strep throat and the pain is reduced by just 5 percent. I don't know why these kind of painful throat infections were created, just one word to describe it, 'deadly'!

Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?