Patient Comments: Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: July 14

I have strep now and it started on Thursday it is now Sunday. My tonsils are still swollen and red, but better than on Friday. My pain was so bad. I couldn't speak or even swallow my own saliva. I was so close to calling an ambulance. I seriously wanted to rip my tonsils out. I heard the C. pepper work to relieve the pain. The only thing I want is to cure it for good. I am thinking of surgery but we'll see. The older you get the more severe they become and it is much harder to recuperate. My doctor said if you get more than 6 strep infections in a year. Time to get them out. I'm on my 2nd and it is July.

Published: July 14

I have step throat now it is very hard to swallow and I feel like my throat was deprived of water for days. The only relief is from these ice chips my 8 year old son gave me and a frozen slushy. It is easy to speak with something very cold.

Published: June 24

I'm having excruciating pain with my Strep (day 3). Be sure to see a doctor (I did yesterday) and ask for a penicillin and steroid shot to speed the healing. My doctor also prescribed pain medication along with the antibiotics. (Ibuprofen has been no help to me) Warmer drinks and soups help.

Published: June 24

As a kid who often had strep throat, I recall the symptoms disappearing within a couple of days (while taking penicillin). However, as a 35-yr-old adult who just recovered from a severe case of it, it was a much different experience. I had a very intense sore throat (unable to speak or swallow) for a full four days (while on penicillin). My tonsils and uvula swelled to several times their normal size (nearly closing my airway), making it difficult to breathe, especially while sleeping. On the fifth day, I began to notice some relief. By the sixth day, I was able to eat solid foods and no longer had a sore throat. Also, as a child, I recall having a high fever with the illness, but as an adult, there was less fever, but more dizziness and some nausea. I'm glad it's finally over!

Published: June 16

I have strep throat right now and what helps with the pain a lot is ibuprofen. I was told by my doctor that it was safe to take with the prescription. It really helps!

Published: May 23

As a near-40 adult, I knew I had strep but waited over the weekend to see a doctor and he start antibiotics. On day five of antibiotics my sore throat was still very uncomfortable but less 'sharp' than it was before. My best relief has come from warm tea and Excedrin.

Comment from: demoneditor, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 19

All I know is it I felt like I got stabbed in the throat. I drooled, moaned and was in excruciating pain for a week or so. Ibuprofen saved my butt, with a remedy of Slurpees and soup. Get on strong antibiotics fast and it will kill the infection.

Comment from: kdjfdkf, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a sore throat for three days and swollen lymph glands until I went to doctor. They did a quick test and said I had strep throat. Ice cream helped most during the sore throat phase, even more than throat spray.

Strep Throat - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you experienced with strep throat.
Strep Throat - Contagious Question: Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?
Strep Throat - Treatments Question: What home remedies soothed your strep throat symptoms and what antibiotics were prescribed for your case of strep throat?
Strep Throat - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of strep throat.
Strep Throat - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of strep throat diagnosed?