Table of Contents
- Strep throat definition and facts
- What is strep throat and what causes strep throat?
- What are the signs and symptoms of strep throat?
- What are the signs and symptoms of strep throat? (Continued)
- Are the signs and symptoms of strep throat different in various age groups?
- Is strep throat contagious
- How is strep throat diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for strep throat?
- What are home remedies for strep throat?
- What over-the-counter OTC drugs are helpful reducing strep throat symptoms?
- What antibiotics are prescribed to treat strep throat?
- What are the potential complications of strep throat?
- What are the potential complications of strep throat? (Continued)
- How can I prevent contracting strep throat?
Quick GuideCommon Sore Throat vs. Strep Throat
What is the treatment for strep throat?
Treatment of a strep throat infection includes the use of antibiotics and over-the-counter medications and home remedies for the reduction of symptoms.
What are home remedies for strep throat?
There are a number of home remedies that may be used for symptom reduction. They may be used whether the patient has strep throat or a viral cause of their illness. These remedies should not be used in lieu of a complete course of antibiotics if a GAS infection is being treated. Home therapies include:
- Saltwater gargle: mix ¼ to ½ teaspoon with 8 ounces of warm water. Young children may swallow the solution instead of gargling it and should thus avoid this approach.
- Hard candies or throat lozenges may be sucked on for effective reduction of symptoms.
- Ice cream, smoothies, popsicles, cold drinks, and warm tea with honey may be useful to soothe the sore throat. Honey should be avoided in infants less that 1 year of age because of their increased likelihood of botulinum toxicity and paralysis. Continue Reading
American Academy of Pediatrics Red Book. Group A Streptococcal Infections. 2012: 668.
CDC.gov. Is it Strep Throat?
Pichichero, Michael. Group A Beta-hemolytic Streptococcal Infections. Pediatrics in Review. 1998; 19: 291-302.
Wald, Ellen. Antibiotic Treatment of Pharyngitis. Pediatrics in Review. 2001; 22: 255.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!