Table of Contents
- Strep throat definition and facts
- What is strep throat and what causes strep throat?
- What are the signs and symptoms of strep throat?
- What are the signs and symptoms of strep throat? (Continued)
- Are the signs and symptoms of strep throat different in various age groups?
- Is strep throat contagious
- How is strep throat diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for strep throat?
- What are home remedies for strep throat?
- What over-the-counter OTC drugs are helpful reducing strep throat symptoms?
- What antibiotics are prescribed to treat strep throat?
- What are the potential complications of strep throat?
- What are the potential complications of strep throat? (Continued)
- How can I prevent contracting strep throat?
Quick GuideCommon Sore Throat vs. Strep Throat
What are the signs and symptoms of strep throat?
Signs of strep throat are not unique - indeed many viral infections (which cause the large majority of sore throats) can have identical signs and symptoms as a GAS infection. Typically, an older child and adolescent will have several core symptoms such as:
- Fever (generally 102 F [38.8 C] and higher)
- Sore throat (may vary from mild to moderate in severity)
- Upset stomach with nausea occasionally severe enough to cause mild vomiting
Of note is that runny nose, cough, hoarse voice, muscle aches,diarrhea and oral blisters are generally not seen with a strep throat infection. These latter symptoms are more commonly indicative of a sore throat caused by a virus. Continue Reading
American Academy of Pediatrics Red Book. Group A Streptococcal Infections. 2012: 668.
CDC.gov. Is it Strep Throat?
Pichichero, Michael. Group A Beta-hemolytic Streptococcal Infections. Pediatrics in Review. 1998; 19: 291-302.
Wald, Ellen. Antibiotic Treatment of Pharyngitis. Pediatrics in Review. 2001; 22: 255.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!