Patient Comments: Stool Color Changes - Color and Experience

What color, texture, or smell; is or was your stool when it changed? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Janine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My stool has been black, green, and bloody. I have hemorrhoids. I go up to 4 times a day, with different consistency. I have gas and bloating my MCV is 101.0. My MCH is 33.4. I wonder if I could have celiac; my grandson does.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: Kellie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had yellow liquid stool for about a month now. Then in the last few days it went a very dark green and now it has gone back to yellow and has black flecks in it. I have just started to get abdominal pain. I realize now I had better go to the doctor but am scared to.

Comment from: Tara8272, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

It is my 9 year old child's stool. It was about the size of rabbit poop, and each piece was being held together by a strand of mucus and then the small stool was coated with the mucus as well. It is very, very smelly, brownish, clay color.

Comment from: Terri b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had a black stool for 4 days and I do not know the reason.

Comment from: Victorianna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a liver biopsy about a year ago and I was told I had a fatty liver and that as far as cirrhosis goes the doctor stated that probably not even a stage 1. Unfortunately, that was all I was told so every little thing, like a different color stool, throws me into a spin. I admire doctors for what they do but it has been a while since I had a doctor spend more than 10 minutes with me.

Comment from: Tmoney, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My stool has been green for about five days. A few weeks ago, I was taking Vicodin for a rib injury. It caused constipation but no change in the color, just hardened. My stool is soft now. I am also taking topical medicines for eczema. I am in relatively good health.

Stool Color Changes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with changes in stool color, texture, or form?
Stool Color Changes - Contacting a Doctor Question: What prompted you to contact a doctor about changes in stool changes?
Stool Color Changes - Causes and Diagnosis Question: What was the cause of your stool to change (in color, texture, odor, etc.); and how was the diagnosis of the cause made?
Stool Color Changes - Causes Question: What was the cause of the changes in color, texture, or form of your stool?
Stool Color Changes - Size and Shape Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with changes in the size and shape of your stool, and if known, what was the cause?