Patient Comments: Stool Color Changes - Color and Experience

What color, texture, or smell; is or was your stool when it changed? Please share your experience.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: Tmoney, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My stool has been green for about five days. A few weeks ago, I was taking Vicodin for a rib injury. It caused constipation but no change in the color, just hardened. My stool is soft now. I am also taking topical medicines for eczema. I am in relatively good health.

Comment from: Cweb205, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My daughter's stools are like red sand. There is no blood, but it is just literally like red sand. She is a cancer survivor for 10 years now. She has been in 3 patient hospitalizations and still there is no diagnosis. There seems to be no information on the web.

Comment from: Shah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I am passing dark, blackish stools, and I am very worried. After reading about internal bleeding, I am terrified. It started when I started fasting. All I been eating is chicken drumsticks.

Comment from: katy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have in the last few months had bowel changes and bleeding when I have a bowel movement, also pain in my back and cramps in my stomach.

Comment from: KT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I run often. During my run today I had diarrhea twice. No bowel movement for 9 hours and now it's very smelly, liquid with blood and it appears to be mucous on the toilet paper.

Comment from: Thundergut, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been having diarrhea for one week now. Usually the stools are dark greenish-brown, mushy to a thick liquid. In addition I have been sustaining some painful intestinal cramping, especially before defecation. I don't know if this is viral, or what sort of pathogen may cause this. Other symptoms were one instance of vomiting, gas, bloating, malaise, and now with disrupted sleep, fatigue. My average stool frequency is from six to seven times in 24 hour period. Somewhat urgent and voluminous. Urgency had caused one fecal accident as bathroom was occupied at the time I needed it.

Stool Color Changes - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with changes in stool color, texture, or consistency?
Stool Color Changes - Contacting a Doctor Question: What prompted you to contact a doctor about changes in stool changes?
Stool Color Changes - Causes and Diagnosis Question: What was the cause of your stool to change (in color, texture, odor, etc.); and how was the diagnosis of the cause made?
Stool Color Changes - Chart of Colors and Causes Question: What was the cause of your stool color to change?