Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.

Comment from: Sweetwm, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

My wife had a botched microwave ablation, causing her liver cancer to shatter and spread. You can feel two cancerous tumors on her stomach, she can't eat and she's gone from promising to hospice care. Now though the doctors say she won't live, if lucky, to Christmas. Well, we are not giving up, but the burned areas are bad and has an open wound bigger than a 50 cent piece all the way through her liver. So she is nauseated terribly, and can't keep food down right now. What things can she do with cancer around the stomach plus discoloration of body, and leaking from her side wound! It is 5 months now, and heartburn is worse when they used a pump. We can't accept this. The plastic surgeon cut out the burned areas mistake number 2, and now she's 98 lb but was able to get around, now just throwing up etc. They say they cut out burnt insides in 2 or 3 ribs, replaced muscle with back muscle. They really messed up. She's tough. After 2 years of chemotherapy she handled well but the doctor felt so bad, he called her at home, checked her PET scan ordered by the cancer doctor, and I believe plastic surgeon did make it worse. The nurses love helping my wife and fortunate to have a great hospice nurse.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in November 2015 in the upper part of my stomach. It was classified as stage 2 and no spread. I underwent chemotherapy treatment already. The cancer shrunk in half after chemotherapy and I wonder why doctors wants to remove the whole stomach and not a part. I found it difficult to accept to live without a stomach. I have read about the side effects after surgery. The doctors said that this is a preventive procedure but I am not satisfied with the answer. I will check second opinion with other surgeons. What worries me is how fast the cancer is growing. They want to operate as soon as possible but I am not in a hurry, I would rather check other opinions first. Again I don't want to defer the treatment too long, to be on the safe side.

Comment from: A,Gurule, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

Back in November, 2013 my younger brother was having stomach pains. He went to his doctor to get checked. The only test they did was a blood test. They told him that he just had an ulcer and treated him for an ulcer. December and January went by, he had lost weight but we didn"t think anything of it, because he was trying to lose weight. February 5, 2014 he lost sight in his left eye. They took him to the hospital and they thought he had a stroke. They sent him to one of the main hospitals in our state. They ran more tests and found that he had a tumor in his brain. They did some test and he started feeling a little better, he got his vision back and started talking better and eating. They still didn"t know what kind of tumor it was or where it originated. They did more test and found out later that it was stage 4 stomach cancer. They set up treatments of radiation and chemotherapy to try and prolong his life. They sent him home over the weekend. His first night home he took a turn for the worse. They took him up for his first radiation treatment and the doctor decided to double his treatments. By his third treatment he was up talking and was drinking and eating a little. His first week he would go two steps forward and then ten steps back. It went the same for his second week, until his poor body went into shock from the treatment and he passed away on February 26, 2014. We found out that day that they should have never doubled his radiation, and that was the reason his body went into shock. I want to get his story out, because he was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori and if they would have done an endoscopy of his stomach in November they would have caught the cancer in time. He was only 36 and was never sick. He was the healthiest person I knew. He never drank, never did any drugs and never smoked. We also found out later that our great grandma had stomach cancer and our aunt had stomach cancer when she passed away last year. If you have stomach problems please get checked. This cancer is ranked 2 in the United States.

Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?