Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.

Comment from: A,Gurule, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

Back in November, 2013 my younger brother was having stomach pains. He went to his doctor to get checked. The only test they did was a blood test. They told him that he just had an ulcer and treated him for an ulcer. December and January went by, he had lost weight but we didn"t think anything of it, because he was trying to lose weight. February 5, 2014 he lost sight in his left eye. They took him to the hospital and they thought he had a stroke. They sent him to one of the main hospitals in our state. They ran more tests and found that he had a tumor in his brain. They did some test and he started feeling a little better, he got his vision back and started talking better and eating. They still didn"t know what kind of tumor it was or where it originated. They did more test and found out later that it was stage 4 stomach cancer. They set up treatments of radiation and chemotherapy to try and prolong his life. They sent him home over the weekend. His first night home he took a turn for the worse. They took him up for his first radiation treatment and the doctor decided to double his treatments. By his third treatment he was up talking and was drinking and eating a little. His first week he would go two steps forward and then ten steps back. It went the same for his second week, until his poor body went into shock from the treatment and he passed away on February 26, 2014. We found out that day that they should have never doubled his radiation, and that was the reason his body went into shock. I want to get his story out, because he was diagnosed with helicobacter pylori and if they would have done an endoscopy of his stomach in November they would have caught the cancer in time. He was only 36 and was never sick. He was the healthiest person I knew. He never drank, never did any drugs and never smoked. We also found out later that our great grandma had stomach cancer and our aunt had stomach cancer when she passed away last year. If you have stomach problems please get checked. This cancer is ranked 2 in the United States.

Comment from: desy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 08

My son was just 16 years old when we went to find out why he couldn't keep food down. Every time he had something to eat he would struggle to swallow it and ended up being sick, he couldn't eat. The doctor gave him some antacid pills for a couple of weeks, then we went back to him. He sent him for tests and it was found he had stomach cancer. He was told he would be suitable to have his stomach removed but he must have chemotherapy first. All was going well when on the last session of chemotherapy something went wrong the doctors had another look inside of him and told us there was nothing they could do. He died just 2 months later; he wasted away, his little heart was broken after he went through so much and yet they couldn't save him. If you get stomach cancer demand to have an operation before chemotherapy and get the cancer cut out before it's too late. If they had operated on my son when they could have, he might still be here today minus a stomach. Christmas has just gone and it's heartbreaking to place a present on my son's grave.

Comment from: paddy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had stomach cancer in 2010, I had a total gastrectomy, then chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Three years on and I am still here, but, although the doctors say there is no sign of cancer, I struggle on a daily basis with eating which causes pain shooting through my back and I am sick almost daily after or during eating. Eating small and often does no difference to me as I still suffer with these symptoms. The doctors have done all sorts of tests and can find nothing!

Comment from: blessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My vision was getting bad so I went to have my glasses renewed. They said I had a stroke in my right eye, so there had to be an underlying problem that caused the stroke. All the tests showed negative. I explained to my doctor that I threw up 3 times in the past month due to my food stopping at my chest. They went down my throat said I had large ulcer with inflammation around it. They did a biopsy, and came back as stomach cancer. This cancer causes blood clots, so that is what caused the stroke in my eye. They did surgery, saw a spot in another place, so they did not take my stomach out. Instead they placed a feeding tube in my stomach, and put a port for chemotherapy in my upper chest/shoulder. In 2 days I was eating real food through my mouth, it stayed down and it did not make me sick. They were/are amazed that I was eating and holding it down. I started chemo 3 weeks after surgery. I was losing 4-5 pounds every other week. The feeding tube that I never used fell out and I refused to have it put back in. My weight stabilized, and I have gained 7.5 pounds in the last month. They categorized me as Stage 4. But my surgeon said about 6 weeks ago that they are amazed at how well I am doing, and they think they might have misdiagnosed me. It has been a rough, interesting journey for the last 4 months.

Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?