Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.

Comment from: kit, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My mother was diagnosed with stage IV stomach cancer. She had a full physical exam every year. She had all the symptoms, looking back. She had protein in her urine, but they kept checking her kidneys. She had indigestion and nausea. She lost weight and finally could not eat. She was very anemic even though she got B12 shots every two weeks. This is a very evil disease. It doesn't get much press, but it is out there. Surgery and chemo did not help; it was too late for her. We believe that her mother died of it in 1950. I have met many people, all ages and nationalities, that have it and died.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had stage 2 stomach cancer. I was treated with surgery to remove 85% to 90% of my stomach. I had aggressive chemo and radiation. I had one symptom and that was anemia. My fifth year has passed, and I am doing well. The path is hell, but there is light ahead. I am currently doing well.

Comment from: glenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

When I eat the food doesn't go down anymore. It just sits there. If I lay down, I wake suddenly, like I am about to throw up. I also have heartburn like you wouldn't believe. It is awful.

Published: May 22

When I was diagnosed with stomach cancer, I had a partial gasectromy, chemotherapy and radiation. I lost 75 lbs and my hair. It was a long and difficult road but I'm feeling better every day! There is light at the end of the tunnel if you fight for it. My two year anniversary is in July and I'm thankful for everything that I have. I received the love and support of friends and family that made it worth while. You can do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment from: NitaW16, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in June. I had surgery (July) to remove 2/3 of my stomach, chemotherapy started August and continued through the end of January. I remained cancer-free until February when I had a recurrence (a very tiny spot was found at the place of origin) and was treated with a new regiment of chemo. I am a fighter, with family and friends and my faith I continue to be positive and always look on the bright side of things. I am still here and I feel great and believe that a cure will be found one day. I still continue to receive different medications and have always been able to tolerate everything that has been given to me. Life is great!

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Male Published: June 08

I just died from Stomach Cancer (Stage 4). He was from Mexico and came to this country in 1953. He loved the United States and passed away on Memorial Day. He found out that he had cancer 7 months ago and received Chemotherapy. He didn't live long enough for the 2nd round of Chemotherapy. He was only given 3 months to live. This was a tough fight for him. We have since learned that his father had it as well. We were told to be tested for the H pylori bacteria because we are now at risk. So far one of my sisters has tested positive.

Comment from: gary from sydney, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

My father and uncle died of stomach cancer my GP had me checked for the past ten years I was diagnosed feb this year with cancer of the mucosa 5th march I had a total Gastrectomy the cancer had not spread after 11 weeks I am playing golf tennis. I am male 69 years old. I suffer dumping when I eat foods containing sugar. I did not require chemotherapy or radiation.

Comment from: Lisa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My Mother had indigestion for a long time, but was very active and looked great for 65. She had an ultrasound and nothing showed up. After several years of this she started getting very dizzy and after passing out several times she agreed to go to the ER. Within 2 hours she had been diagnosed with stomach cancer. 2 weeks later she had surgery and they removed her stomach totally. In another 5 days she was gone from us, this is a horrible disease and as much pain as she was in she never once cried in front of us, I never realized how strong she was.

Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?