Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.

Comment from: Susan, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My dear friend began feeling ill and lost his appetite. He just wasn't hungry. He began to burp a good deal and pass gas. He felt bloated and his stomach began to swell. The blood work didn't show anything. They did a sonogram which showed nothing. A CT scan was taken, which raised questions. Finally, to the shock of the doctor, he was diagnosed as having a 5 pound tumor in his stomach. The cancer has traveled to his liver and many lymph nodes. The doctor believes the tumor has been growing for about a year. The doctors only give him three months. However, one should never, ever give up or in. Keep fighting. There are so many stories of miracles.

Comment from: RMJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

In August of 2008, my sister began vomiting every day. At first, it was thought she might have gall bladder problems. A CAT scan revealed nothing. Finally, a gastroscopy revealed stomach cancer. Most of her stomach was removed. The cancer had spilled over into her lymph nodes. She was next treated with chemo 24 hours a day and radiation five days a week. She was scheduled for another operation at the end of January. She was opened and closed back up. It was explained that the cancer was sprinkled like sand and inoperable. Thee next step was an aggressive combination of three types of chemo. This proved too much as she became very sick. She is now building up her strength again before another chemo treatment.

Comment from: Veronica, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. My doctor thought that I had bleeding ulcers, and it turned out to be cancer. My surgery consisted of two-thirds of my stomach being taken out. Thank God and the doctors that they found it. I went through chemo and radiation. Now, I am good. My last appointment with my doctor is in December of 2008.

Comment from: Bryan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

By chance due to a stuck pillcam i was diagnosed with small intestinal cancer Stage 3. The growth out of the side wall of the intestine floated 7.5 inches along the intestine. I was extremely lucky in that the intestine wall was not breached and that this floating sausage was free of the intestinal walls. A 2ft section of intestine was cut out and no lymph nodes were were infected. So two months later i seem to be doing fine just have to have test every 6mths to make sure none of the cancer escaped. On the good side I am eating anything and everything and that i have not been able to do for many years. I pray that anybody else with this rare form of cancer is a luck as me.

Comment from: ann, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My brother was told 3 mos ago that he has stomach cancer and is in stage 4 and it has spread to other parts of his body. My brother is only 47 and he as well as our family is scared and lost, this has changed all our lives. Please if anyone has any advice for us it would be greatly appreciated!

Comment from: Annetjie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My father-in-law was diagnosed with stomach cancer three weeks ago after losing a lot of weight and could not eat. After a second opinion a week later, the results showed stage 2. Last week, they found the cancer had spread to other organs. The doctors informed us that there is nothing else they can do but put in a stent from his esophagus into his stomach to make life a little easier.

Comment from: mele, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My mom just went through surgery to remove more than half of her stomach because of cancer that was found. She has been home for about a month now, but she is constantly throwing up and being taken back and forth to the hospitals because of dehydration. I am really worried about her. She dry-heaves about every 30 to 45 minutes.

Comment from: fighting cancer, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My husband was suffering with stomach problems. He couldn't digest his food; it would stay and lie in his stomach until he had to throw up, but the unusual thing was it wasn't food. It was large quantities of a brown color liquid with a foul smell. Doctors tried many endoscopies and scans and said that where his stomach connected to his small intestine was closed. So after trying to open it up and injecting Botox and taking pills to make stomach work and reduce heartburn; etc; nothing helped. Eventually, he was back to square one and had to go to the emergency room. The next day, we found out that he had stomach cancer. It had spread to his intestines and part of his liver. I am so devastated about the news and hope and pray his body can stand chemotherapy.

Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?