Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.

Comment from: Catherine, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My mum showed no signs of stomach cancer. The only thing I was concerned about was shortness of breath on short walks. When she collapsed at home, I brought her into hospital; they sent her for a gastroscopy test (OGD, or endoscopy - camera into the tummy). They discovered a large tumor in the stomach that had gone through the stomach wall and into the glands. She is on palliative care as she didn't want the surgery because of her age (84 at the time). That was September 2012. It is now nearly a year since she was diagnosed, thankfully she is still with us and still independent. I know cancer moves slowly when you're old, maybe that is working in her favor.

Published: July 15

Prior to May, my father had lost weight, felt full after eating very little and began vomiting. Years before these episodes, he was from the old school of "when you have a stomach ache, mix come baking soda w/ water." We called it his cocktail and he would feel better. God only knows how long he had stomach cancer, but was officially diagnosed in May the tumor was huge and then spread to his esophagus, bones and lungs. My daddy passed away. He was a strong man and an athlete all his life and this happened so fast and he was gone even faster. All I can say is there were really no symptoms, except for a belly ache once in awhile after eating, (we've all had that) but the big things happened when it was all to late to cure. Please, everyone, get check-ups, to for an endoscopy every few years and bloodwork. He lasted 10 months from diagnosis and the ending was not nice, I'm thankful my family was with him as he totally wasted away. He never had pain, but just lost so much weight from not eating. I wish there was more testing for this horrible form of cancer.

Comment from: Connie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had surgery for stomach cancer in September and 1/2 of my stomach was removed. Also, after surgery I had 3 blood clots pass through my heart and also had MERSA. It was all very painful and scary; but, even though my oncologist jokes that they tried to kill me 3 times, he shakes his head and can only say I caught it in time while I was still healthy. I am now on Gleevic which is supposed to help with stomach tumors and Warfarin for my thick blood. I have had no bad affects from either. I originally went to the doctor because I was very tired and my blood tests showed that my red blood cells were disappearing fast. They did the gastro tests showing an ulcer and another mass. Even a scan could not identify what it was, therefore, the surgery. I can only believe that God has a reason for keeping me here. Today, at 67 I am retired but still work 12 hours a week at the college I am affiliated with and only once in a while feel tired. The doctor is amazed because I am eating just about everything.

Comment from: belfast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed with stomach cancer when I was 41 years old. I didn't smoke or drink. My surgeon told me to forget about 2008, and I did. I went through intense chemo before my surgery, and then I had my full stomach removed along with part of my bowel. It was a six-hour surgery. My chemo started three months after surgery. It was tough for me, my husband and three teenage children, but my family and faith got me through this ordeal. I got the all clear before Christmas, and what a Christmas present that was! I have returned to work after a full year out. I still get tired every day and feel like a pensioner some days, but I'm alive and kicking and will hope and pray I never have to go down that road ever again. I found the hardest thing throughout all this was learning to eat again, but I now know to eat small and often. Think positive and take all the help you can to get through this. Sleep plenty and think positive.

Comment from: very worried, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My grandfather was taken to hospital last night, before this he started with diarrhea. He hadn't opened his bowels for the past two weeks and wasn't eating properly and was vomiting after not being able to eat much. He has lost a bit of weight due to these symptoms, while at the hospital they have found that his bowels were blocked, they did some test and finally came back with results tonight. His liver and kidneys are fine, but he has a lump on the left side of his stomach they said it can't be cancer because it would have spread to his liver. They are going to find out tomorrow what the lump is and how big and also if it has anything to do with any sort of cancer or anything that may be bad. They said it may be an early stage and if so they would be able to treat it. My grandfather is 77 years old and is a Pacific Islander. He doesn't drink or smoke and doesn't have any weight problems. He is a very active man in life. I have questions to ask about the food he did like salt and has eaten a good dose of fatty foods. It is just a cultural thing really, but has never gained massive weight he always kept fit. I just don't understand these things that are happening to him from what I've read about all the symptoms of stomach cancer I feel this is what he could have and if he is in the early stages of it I really hope that the doctor's at the hospital can help him in whatever this is that he is going threw right now.

Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?