Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?

Comment from: Granny Go-Go !, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Relieved to read of patients' prolonged recovery time from bronchitis, as my general physician seems to think I should be better after a week on a strong antibiotic (500 mg amoxicillin, 3 times daily). Although the bronchial cough is less 'thick', it is still almost continuous and I feel totally exhausted. Normally, I am a quite active, 83 year old, don't smoke, am not overweight but bronchitis has knocked me for six! I have not dressed for a week but am walking around the apartment and taking vitamin supplement etc. I am having to force myself to eat but trying to drink (lemon and honey mostly) often. Nights are the worst, when coughing fits leave me sleepless and worn out! Doctors keep saying cough medicine is worse than useless but I find Benylin with the diphenhydramine content is very effective. Beginning to feel I'll never get well again!

Comment from: vpalston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For the past 6 years I had experienced pain in my upper stomach area. I was told I had pancreatitis. In November 2012 I was hospitalized with severe stomach pain and had numerous tests only to be told by that physician that I had acid reflux disease and was prescribed Prilosec. My inability to swallow and weight loss continued to worsen. In January 2013 I made several attempts to see my physician however I was told I couldn"t be seen until April 2013. I knew something wasn"t right so I found another physician who was able to see me the next day. He immediately sent me for testing and I was diagnosed in February 2013 with stomach cancer. I was immediately sent to an oncologist and began chemotherapy treatments for 3 sessions and had my stomach, spleen and several lymph nodes removed in July 2013.

Comment from: kolo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have been diagnosed with SIBO and am somewhat confused on treatment. My doctor prescribed Xifaxan but this is for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) with diarrhea and I have IBS with constipation.

Comment from: sujith, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I was feverish, had loose motions and blood in motions, and severe cough before I was diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Comment from: J Phillips, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My father had always been an exceptionally healthy man, fit and active. He had his yearly physical in the spring of 2011 and had no health concerns to speak of. During the summer months of 2011 his voice became hoarse, he began to have difficulty swallowing, and he felt fatigued. His family doctor diagnosed him with acid reflux, although he had no burning or indigestion. He began to feel full after eating only a little bit of food. My family & I took my father to the doctor many times and each time it was a different diagnosis, all of them incorrect. He was finally diagnosed with ascites and had 3 liters of fluid drained from his abdomen. We finally succeeded in getting him a GI scope which discovered a tumor in his stomach. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer on Sep 7, 2011 and died on Oct 4, 2011. Once we received his diagnosis it was too late for him, he deteriorated so rapidly in front of our eyes-heart breaking. November is Stomach Cancer Awareness month-please don't take issues of persistent indigestion, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing lightly. The difficulty with stomach cancer is that when the symptoms do present themselves, it is quite often too late. My father didn't have a chance.

Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition Question: What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?