Patient Comments: Stomach Cancer - Diet and Nutrition

What kinds of changes have you made to your diet following your stomach cancer diagnosis?

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

In 2011 I was diagnosed with 3rd stage stomach cancer, I had Billroth II surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. I had a lot of trouble digesting my food, and water. Portions were very small, and after three years almost, I still cannot eat more than two cups of solid food, or drink a 12 oz. glass of water. I have learned that I cannot allow myself to get constipated. This leads to an emergency visit with abdominal pain, nausea and weakness. Keeping myself well hydrated is a challenge. I can never eat raw fruits like apples or oranges. I stay away from raw vegetables that require a lot of chewing, like cabbage, it is better for me to cook my vegetables. However, no matter how careful I am, I still have pain at bedtime, and burp and belch when I turn over in bed for hours at night.

Stomach Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, radiation, or therapy did you receive for stomach cancer?
Stomach Cancer - Surgery Question: Please describe your experience with surgery for stomach cancer.