Patient Comments: Still's Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Still's disease?

Comment from: Felicia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Last year, I started seeing a salmon colored rash while at the state fair. I thought it was from being around all the animals, grass, dust, etc. But then my joints (ankles and wrist) started hurting. I thought it was from all of the walking. Then a few months later in October, it hit hard. My throat was extremely sore, muscles so sore I couldn't move, swollen wrist and knees, vomiting, extreme fatigue, difficulty breathing, and kept a high fever. These symptoms lasted for the whole month of October. I went to the doctor several times during this period. I was finally hospitalized the last week of October and diagnosed with Still's disease. I was treated with steroids and Ibuprofen. I also find that eating healthy and exercising every day helps .This disease can be very stressful and aggravating to deal with. I had to drop out of respiratory school because I was so sick and missed so much that I couldn't catch up. But you have to take it one day at a time and not over work yourself. Hope this helps!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sherrybaker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

It all started with an ear ache and Chantix to stop smoking. I then had a rash that I thought was hives. Then at work I could not walk then it was on – Still's disease!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: jeanh6521, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with Still's disease after two months in two different hospitals. I have a severe and unusual case. I have been on prednisone since May 2011. When I start to taper off, I end up in the hospital. I had no symptoms before being hospitalized. I woke up one day and my knees/legs would not support my weight. My doctor sent me to the emergency room, and I was admitted to the hospital that night. I had many, many tests: CAT scans, biopsies, X-rays, etc., to rule out any other illnesses or cancer. I have Remicade infusions every four weeks and believe they are helping. Because I've been on steroids, I have fractured vertebrae at this point in time. I am also seeing a cardiologist, as my heart rate is extremely high. I take one day at a time and know that things will get better.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sparkles, 45-54 Female Published: June 27

I had adult onset Still's disease and was off work for three months. I had sever fatigue, weight loss, swollen joints, an elevated liver function test, spiking fevers for several weeks in the late afternoon, and the rash. It was quite scary; especially when I just dropped weight very quickly. I remember wondering if I would ever feel well again. The fatigue was so debilitating. I could only go back to work part-time, and it took a good year to feel some level of normal return. Thankfully my joint swelling resolved, and although I still get sore joints on occasions, I have not had too much problem in that area.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I was in bed after work when I could not move my legs. I also felt excruciating pain when trying to move my legs. After two days at home I went to the hospital in an ambulance and was after many tests diagnosed with Still's. That was in November 2012. Now it is Jan 2013 and I have pain mainly in my hands and wrists. I am able to walk but can't run. Medication is mainly Methotrexate and analgesics.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Ed, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 05

It was in 1943, I was 12, and suddenly developed pneumonia. They gave me sulfa drugs, which didn't help. Meanwhile, my temperature went up close to 104 every afternoon around 4, and came down around 4 a.m. I lost an estimated one-third of my body weight, and was diagnosed having acute pericarditis and an enlarged heart. Then the swelling of the joints on all of my fingers developed. My appetite was normal. I was in bed for two months, returned to school two months after that. A heart murmur remained, but slowly disappeared in a year or two. I never had a relapse.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Still's Disease - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your still's disease?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.