Patient Comments: Still's Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your still's disease?

Comment from: Mona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I am 55 years old and was diagnosed with Still's disease 9 years ago after many tests. I was unable to walk or even brush my teeth or hold a washcloth to shower. I had fevers in excess of 104 degrees daily for over 2 months and up to 102 degrees for four more months. I am still unable to work a full day and suffer from extreme exhaustion quite often. My pain level spikes to unbearable at times and is mostly in my legs and feet, but often affects my wrists and other body parts. I have been told repeatedly that I have no rheumatoid factor and that my sedimentation rate and CRP are normal. That is normal with Still's, but no one wants to listen. Your ESR and CRP can be normal while you suffer from severe swelling and pain due to Still's disease. Exercise does, indeed, help me to feel better about myself. Since contracting Still's Disease, I have also contracted Raynaud's disease and have difficulty holding on to things many days. My hands are two-toned and ice cold. It is hard to move on many occasions, but I refuse to give up. I stopped taking prednisone and methotrexate because they were causing severe bone pain. Now I take ibuprofen for pain and deal with my pain as best as I can. I have filed for SSI (supplemental security income); I am waiting to see if I will receive some help.

Comment from: KJean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have adult onset Still's disease. I was diagnosed nine years ago after months of doctors being stumped. For me, Still's is chronic. I've been on prednisone all nine years (now down to 20 mg.), 30 mg. methotrexate, and 2 daily shots of Kineret but I still get fevers almost daily, sometimes twice, severe fatigue, and muscle and joint pain. I've tried and failed Enbrel, Cimzia, Actemra, and Humira. It is a life changing and destroying illness - I had to drop to part-time work, and then file for disability two years ago. Filed for bankruptcy. I have lost much of my mobility.

Comment from: pebbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I have had pain and fevers with a rash for almost 10 years. Most doctors thought I was crazy because my Rheumatoid Factor always came back negative as well as the ANA test for Lupus. I was missing tons of work each year but I was finally diagnosed last year with Adult-onset Stills. I am being treated with Plaquenil and Methotrexate. I have been 90% better after receiving medications. Hardly miss any work now and can now pretty much function normally. Thank goodness!

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I was diagnosed with Still's disease in 1960. As a baby, I suffered from mercury poisoning. As a treatment, I was prescribed large doses of disprin, and my joints were wrapped in thermogene wool.

Comment from: CocoCookie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

It took 10 years and many different specialists, doctors and different hospital stays lasting anything from a few days to a few months to diagnose my still's disease. It started when I was 8 and got so bad that it broke three of my vertebrae. The doctors wrongly treated me for juvenile arthritis and sent me home. I was on steroids for a year and this treated my fevers. After going to a private specialist two years ago I was diagnosed with still's disease. I have had it for roughly 13 out of my 19 years in total.

Comment from: tortured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Still's disease disease has changed my life. I can't be as active as I was which has cause me a lot of depression. I try to think positive but it's very difficult. The steroids don't help they add extra weight for your body to carry. If my body is hurting and joints are on fire I really don't need extra weight. My body is fighting with me and its not letting me win but I am not giving up. I can be working and my joints just lock. It's a life changing disease.

Comment from: TheJellybean212, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Last year, I came down with a severe sickness, that my doctor thought was pneumonia. It lasted around 5 weeks, and I finally went back. After being admitted, they thought it was lupus. After that, I was seen by a rheumatologist and told I had adult onset still's disease. I've had surgery to repair my left wrist, and I am kept on meloxicam for relief of the arthritis.

Still's Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Still's disease?
Still's Disease - Prognosis Question: What is your Still's disease prognosis?