Patient Comments: Stiff-Person Syndrome - Diagnosis

Please discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of Stiff-Person syndrome.

Comment from: kobesmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had Stiff-Person syndrome for over 10 years. In the past, I've fallen more times than I can count. Thankfully, that doesn't happen as often anymore. I credit IVIG with giving me back my life. On a good day, I walk with a cane. On a bad day, I use a mobility scooter. Thankfully, I have more good days than bad. I also take Lyrica, Zanaflex and baclofen to help control the spasms. My joints have swelled, I've put on over 140 pounds because of inactivity. At times I don't want to leave the house especially if it is too cold (really nasty spasms) or icy (I'm afraid I'll fall). I'm grateful for smart doctors who were willing to fight for me.

Comment from: abc huber, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

it happened after a car accident in December 2012. The accident happened in the afternoon; and the pain in my legs began that very night. My legs get contracted very intensely, and it hurts terribly. After about two months, I began to have spasms at night. It started in my legs and went up to my abdomen. I have also have had several falls. The doctors could not find the cause or the problem. I found out that Lorazepam seems to help. It relaxes my legs. I'm now after a second opinion. The new neurologist believes that I have SPS.

Stiff-Person Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with Stiff-Person syndrome?
Stiff-Person Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was your treatment for Stiff-Person syndrome?