Patient Comments: Steroid Drug Withdrawal -Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Comment from: Kit Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Due to chigger bites I was given a prednisone shot and then put on 40 mg daily oral. I was not given a reduced dosing and within 48 hours of the last 20 mg pill my withdrawal symptoms started. I am also hypersensitive to any drugs to begin with. I ended up the emergency room (ER) 72 hours after the last dose, with severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea, passing blood, anxiety, dizziness, dehydration, fatigue and brain fog. The ER did not class it as withdrawal and sent me home with intestinal remedies for gastritis. Today, 5 days since the last dose I am still suffering with most of the above symptoms and my digestive and intestinal system is still not working properly. I have an appointment with my doctor tonight to possibly give me something to counteract the withdrawal symptoms. From now on, no prednisone!

Comment from: alegrdl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I also am on prednisone 5 mg, for rheumatoid arthritis. I have gained a lot of weight, it's not from so much eating; it is the medicine that has me swollen. I decided to take myself off the steroid too, and I'm also going through withdrawals. I have bad headaches and joint pain, what everyone is going through to detox from this medication. I'm tired of feeling like this, and I refuse to go back on it. I also still exercise every day and after all the work I have done I still look chubby. I need to feel better.

Comment from: suzieQ, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 19

My husband was on 4 mg of a steroid drug for 4 months due to spinal stenosis. He acted kind of hyper-euphoric at the beginning. Then he developed the moon face. He has been weaning off for the last 2 weeks and has been having a terrible time with many of the symptoms listed in this article including muscle weakness, tiring easily, light headedness, and now today, fever. I read here that they don't know how each dose effects different people. My husband has a very sensitive system and I will not allow any doctor to prescribe long term steroids in the future! This stuff is dangerous.

Comment from: Preston, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Nine years ago I got a disease called neurocysticercosis. I had swelling of the spine and could not move my legs. I took 60 mg of prednisone for 3 months. Well, the doctor started to take me off and he ended up doing it too fast and I literally almost died. I got dehydrated, blood pressure dropped and was totally out of it. When my husband got me to the hospital the doctor said it isn't a matter or re-hydrating her, it is a case of keeping her alive. I was very lucky. They put me back on the prednisone and tapered slower. Now fast forward to this January. I ended up finding I have low cortisol. So they put me on hydrocortisone. It has been about two months and I began to have awful fatigue, severe headaches, and horrible nausea. I weaned off but still nauseous and extremely tired. I have decided I will never take these again!

Comment from: millie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was on prednisone for two weeks; 40 mg for 5 days, 30 for 4 days, 20 for 3 days and 10 for two days. I was shaky and jittery with symptoms of steroid drug withdrawal for the whole 2 weeks. Now I have been off for 3 weeks and am still having the shakes, fatigue, light-headedness, and was having bad chest pains. I ended up in the emergency room, diagnosed with either bleeding ulcer or bad GERD. I have no energy, cannot walk for any length of time without being exhausted. I will never take that drug again and do not know why doctors ever prescribe it. I don't know how long this is going to last and am just really tired of it.

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

It is 3:30 in the morning. I thought I was taking hydroxyzine 50 mg every 6 hours. I was also given prednisone. I have had extreme itching and rash and no sleep. I don't know why I didn't recheck the bottle. Somehow it got switched. The first two days I did take the hydroxyzine. I have not slept all week. I thought I was today going to lower the hydroxyzine so I only took one of the pills (thinking I was taking one hydroxyzine). I started not feeling well so at 3:00 I took one more. After I swallowed it I thought I would look at the container to see if any precautions were on the labels. That was when I saw it was prednisone. I am so upset. I am planning a month's trip to Eastern Europe in August and can't get any shots, can't be near illness (airplanes), plus tourists. I'm not sure what to do. It's the middle of the night and I'm wide awake. I average two hours maximum a day. I will call the doctor tomorrow but wanted to share.

Steroid Drug Withdrawal - Treatment Question: Please describe the treatment you received for steroid drug withdrawal.