Patient Comments: Steroid Drug Withdrawal -Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Comment from: Steroid-shock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had been on 40 to 60 mg prednisone for four months when I got ill with what I presume was a cold or the flu. Somehow I managed to miss a day's dose of prednisone (40 mg) and things turned bad very fast. By evening, I was very brain-confused, had severe joint pain and a fever (along with various other symptoms that were probably due to missing all my morning heart medicines that day as well). Over the next couple of weeks, I had some very strange things happen with my skin that I think may have been the result of ending up in an adrenal crisis. I probably should have gone to hospital, but with confused brain function that didn't happen. I noticed the medication problem the next morning so only "cold turkeyed" for a day. I had a couple of rough days after going back on the steroids. It's the first time I ever missed my meds. I'll be very careful it doesn't happen again – it was scary.

Comment from: mamaton, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I get very severe headaches – worse than my migraines can be. With neuropathy, my skin hurt when I showered or got dressed. My RA flared up in my joints. I had frequent fevers and chills. No OTC meds would help. I ended up having to go to emergency, and was given Neurontin and strong pain medications for the pain. It was a bad ordeal and I am just now getting better after eight weeks. This was due to not being weaned off the prednisone properly.

Comment from: newlywed, Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am an 81-year-old woman with two blocked arteries. I had a stent put in 10 days ago. I have been tired, depressed, had nightmares--you name it. I am allergic to many medicines and they could not use red dye for my procedure so they used steroids. It took them two tries to get the blockages out. When I told the cardio doctor today he said it was steroid withdrawal. The doctor said it would take about two weeks and I am on day 10. My granddaughter's wedding is this weekend and I hope I can dance at her wedding.