Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: some1, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have contracted staph infection about a month ago. I didn't really know what it was until my whole face was full of boils oozing pus. It was horrible and painful, plus it was all under my beard so it was hard applying anything to it. Anyway, I went straight to emergency when it started to really burn my skin. The doctor injected an antibiotic and prescribed antibiotics which I used for about a week. After that, everything went back to normal, no scratches on the skin, nothing. But, I had one scar which I couldn't help but scratch, it seemed like it was still infected. One day I had had enough with the itchiness and ripped it open (by accident). Unluckily, the infection came back to me and the same thing is happening all over again. I am currently under antibiotics and applying cream on the wounds. Moral: do not scratch the scars!

Comment from: carol d., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I had vertigo about 7 years ago and had headache. I woke up yesterday morning spinning and got sick to my tummy. Today I feel spaced out.

Comment from: Papa Greg, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

I was born in 1947. My late mother, a retired nurse, over the years had reminded me that I had rheumatic fever (RF) and was in bed for six months. I do not remember that. But, I could not play high school sports. Later, I was drafted and though I told doctors about the RF, I passed my physical. I served my active duty in Europe and then retired out of the Army Reserve. In all the physicals I received over those twenty years, nothing related to RF showed up. However, not long after, I started having occasional palpitations. My internist diagnosed supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). He has treated me with medication since and I rarely have any symptoms. However, my life style has been rather sedate. I have had some arthritis over that last twenty years or so, but probably not related to RF but being older.

Comment from: Lady Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My grandmother used to make a tea from the leaves of jewel weed, which is often found growing near poison ivy. She kept this tea in the fridge and would dab it on my rash with a cotton ball. If the rash was severe, after she'd swabbed me down, she would take a whole leaf and place it on the damp skin, then wrap the whole shebang with loose gauze or a piece of old bedsheet. I still use this method on myself (I swear I can get poison ivy by looking at the plant too hard), and well as my kids, grandkids, and now great-grandchildren.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I started with severe back pain and ended up in hospital. I was soon diagnosed with staph virus. I had kidney failure and septicemia. I also had an abscess on my spine. After 3 days in critical care I was moved onto a ward. I spent 5 weeks in hospital and after intravenous antibiotics and other drugs I was well enough to return home. I still get tired spells but I'm back at work on reduced hours and getting stronger as the weeks go by.

Comment from: Jonesy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

Just an update, 3 weeks since my operation for prolapsed uterus. I saw my doctor last week and she said I was progressing very well. I have to see her again in 3 weeks when she will examine me again. The soreness in my buttocks has disappeared and I am feeling great. My doctor says I should resume normal life after 6 weeks from surgery, but I am going to take it easy for 8 weeks as a friend told me her sister has had 3 operations in 18 months. The worst thing about this problem is that I have to resume 100 pelvic floor exercises a day. Maybe forever! Ugh.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.