Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: favour, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Last year December, I tested heavy growth of candidiasis and growth of staph. I have taken gentimecin injection, other antibiotics prescribed by a medical doctor, but till now, the candidiasis has cleared, but am still battle with the staph. I am married. I want to know if I can still conceive. My husband is scared to have sex with me.

Comment from: Mikey, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

Mine started out to be like a small pimple on my face. I woke up the next morning and it was very swollen and painful. I went to the ER and the doctor told me there that it was staph. He put me on two different types of antibiotics. I hope they work over the next two days. I'm in a lot of pain.

Comment from: sherri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a biopsy on my back, which they said was Basil Cell. From the beginning it burned and had a discharge, felt like I had a hole in my back. They removed it and I still had the same problems. Which they said the drainage and all was normal. I had asked to be put on an antibiotic, which the PA ignored. After the stitches where removed it kept draining. One day it ruptured and I walked in the office (which I was told they didn't accept walk-ins. It was Dec 30th and I knew they would be closed Friday and the weekend. Well, they finally let me see the PA and she took a culture, gave me a gel to clean it and an appointment for 10 days later. I still had the same problems and made an appointment and saw the Dr., the culture was staph. I am very disappointed in my care.

Comment from: SJC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had ramping pain in my lower abdomen and was vomiting, 2 Doctors examined me one said it was appendicitis the other a blocked bowel. They took swabs from my womb, it came back as staph. I was off work for 6 days in bed for 4 days, the doctors said wait and see, when the results came back I was prescribed amoxicillin, I feel a lot better.

Comment from: Staph Fighter, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My 20 year old daughter has a long history of eczema. Her skin is very sensitive and she changed laundry detergent. This caused a severe breakout. We tried for months to get it under control with prescribed ointments and over the counter solutions to control itching. She scratched a lot when she was sleeping. After months, we saw some improvement but decided to have her tested. The doctor did a skin culture and discovered that it was staphylococcus Aureus. We will treat it with Keflex (cephalexin). Hopefully, she will get some relief soon. I can't stress enough how important it is to be proactive when you notice unusual changes in your skin. It could be a matter of life or death.

Comment from: bazballfan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

Hello, I acquired a staph infection from my second spinal fusion surgery in 1997. Since then I have had to deal with eight more spinal fusions and six more clean-out surgeries from the staph Infections. I ache 24/7 in my muscles and bones from head to toe. My blood always says I'm clean but the very next day after surgery my incisions burst open and I have full blown staph again and usually it ends up being two or three different strains of staph. The staph has eaten up my vertebrae, discs, and all the tissues of my spine from L5/S1 and now it's all the way to T-4. I'm going to undergo another fusion to try to stabilize my spine as it's moving so much in the thoracic area now that it's causing me heart issues and breathing problems that are getting to be very bad. The staph is in me and it won't die with the antibiotics that they run through me. I have air inside and around all of the discs in my spine so there is no stability at all. I ache so bad from the staph. My pain medications don't do a good job for the staph pains. I'm 56 years old now and I feel that this is going to take my life pretty soon. I'm taking a big risk for this next surgery but I need to try to stabilize my chest area so I can breathe and lay down sometimes without cutting off my air and making my heart hurt so much and go into these crazy beating patterns. I'm so sorry all of you have staph. Good Luck Everyone!

Comment from: mlk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Over ten days ago, I fell on an unkept sidewalk that was and is covered in mud every time it rains. After I fell, I was covered in mud that smelled like feces. Immediately I went home, threw my clothes in the garbage and showered. I cleaned the open wounds from the fall and applied antibiotic cream. Two days later, I could not walk. Went to the doctor and was advised it was cellulitis. I believe it was because of the mud.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.