Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: reddawn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I was diagnosed with a staff infection 2 days agao. I have had it for about 12 days. I have had 2 full days of antibiotics. My rash is on my head, neck, shoulders, chest, back, some on arms and legs.

Comment from: Emerson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

For 6 years now, the color of my urine has been pale yellow sometimes dark yellow. Moreover I usually have constant headache and periodic fever. I also have swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. I went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with staphylococcus aureus. What I did not know is whether the staph is the cause of all these symptoms.

Comment from: Scotty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I got a staph infection in March 2011 after having rotator cuff surgery. It made a hole under my incision. My skin and staples were still intact. I was experiencing a lot of pain and high fever. My arm locked up on me. I went back to doctor and he put me on some antibiotics and heavier pain meds. He told me it's probably a little infected. It continued till the next day and I notified him. He finally put me in hospital and took out a couple of the staples and my skin opened up and I could look down into a hole that had formed under the staples. I saw layers of meat and bone. I could see all the way into my shoulder. I stayed in hosp for 7 days. He washed it out a week later and put me on oral antibiotics. It still did not do any good. I went to another state to be treated with IV antibiotics and I feel better. I never want to go through that again.

Comment from: jenn, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My 5 year old son had what we thought was a cold sore and learned that it was a staph infection. It is located on the side of his mouth. The doctor gave him antiobiotics to treat it.

Comment from: Aby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have a staph with large blisters. There is colorless fluid leaking out of them.

Comment from: Bassettgirl, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Our son had an itchy area on his knee. Then it got really red and inflamed. After about three days, two pockets developed on top of the bump. He is on Keflex, and it's doing the trick.

Comment from: tessy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I recently had upper eyelid surgery and developed a staph infection two days later. The doctors prescribed Cipro, which is working great. I never take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I wonder if it should be standard to take antibiotics after this type of surgery?

Comment from: jfritchell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a sore in my groin. Went to the ER and it turned out to be staph. No clue where I got it. Doctors are not very good on explaining much to me. It hurt so bad. I got very sick. I got antibiotics, nausea, and Percocet for pain. I'm glad I went however that Bactrim really makes me sick.

Comment from: DarkstStar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 30 year old mother of one. Last year I got a piercing. It never healed correctly. I developed a lump in my right nipple. A doctor in the emergency room lanced this ... with no antibiotics to take home. This got infected. After another lancing , I began to have a severe pain in my back near my shoulder blade. I spent the next month being turned away from the emergency room because they could not, nor would they, try to find what the problem was. After almost two months I finally got admitted to the hospital, where they found staph in my right lung and in my spinal cord. When I awoke in the ICU I found that I had two separate surgeries. The staph had eaten out a disc in my spine. I also had a large abscess in my stomach caused by the staph. I spent a total of two months in the hospital. Now a year later I am not nor will I ever be 100 percent. Staph is no joke. If there are symptoms ... get it checked.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.