Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: jenn, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My 5 year old son had what we thought was a cold sore and learned that it was a staph infection. It is located on the side of his mouth. The doctor gave him antiobiotics to treat it.

Comment from: Aby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have a staph with large blisters. There is colorless fluid leaking out of them.

Comment from: Bassettgirl, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

Our son had an itchy area on his knee. Then it got really red and inflamed. After about three days, two pockets developed on top of the bump. He is on Keflex, and it's doing the trick.

Comment from: tessy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I recently had upper eyelid surgery and developed a staph infection two days later. The doctors prescribed Cipro, which is working great. I never take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I wonder if it should be standard to take antibiotics after this type of surgery?

Comment from: jfritchell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a sore in my groin. Went to the ER and it turned out to be staph. No clue where I got it. Doctors are not very good on explaining much to me. It hurt so bad. I got very sick. I got antibiotics, nausea, and Percocet for pain. I'm glad I went however that Bactrim really makes me sick.

Comment from: DarkstStar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 30 year old mother of one. Last year I got a piercing. It never healed correctly. I developed a lump in my right nipple. A doctor in the emergency room lanced this ... with no antibiotics to take home. This got infected. After another lancing , I began to have a severe pain in my back near my shoulder blade. I spent the next month being turned away from the emergency room because they could not, nor would they, try to find what the problem was. After almost two months I finally got admitted to the hospital, where they found staph in my right lung and in my spinal cord. When I awoke in the ICU I found that I had two separate surgeries. The staph had eaten out a disc in my spine. I also had a large abscess in my stomach caused by the staph. I spent a total of two months in the hospital. Now a year later I am not nor will I ever be 100 percent. Staph is no joke. If there are symptoms ... get it checked.

Comment from: glen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I broke my leg and had 2 plates and 19 screws put in. After 3 months i ended up with staph in the bone. I am on a cadd pump with vanco antibiotic this will be there for 6 weeks and according to the infection doctor it will clear it up. I am hoping for the best it has now been 7 months and still on the crutches.

Comment from: Staph hater, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a staph infection of the skin and my skin peeled off everywhere from the toe nails to my groin to my arm pits (causing all armpit hair to fall out) to the scalp. A place that it hurt the most was on my neck. This hurt so much it made it extremely painful just to swallow. The next was around my eyes making blinking or shutting my eyes crack or sting. My scalp was the most annoying. Once you started scratching you could not stop. Literally scratched my head hours on end. And even with all of my will power, could not stop.

Comment from: tina, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My 14 year old son started peeing blood, followed with pain in lower back and pain in lower stomach. I took him to the doctor he told me he has a urinary tract infection and staphylococcus. He has no soars and the doctor doesn't know what strain I'm still waiting for a response.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.