Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: ush, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

For years now, the color of my urine has been pale yellow sometimes dark yellow. Moreover I usually have constant headache and periodic fever. My bones are not strong again, and i feel week all the time, am have heart failure/HBP.boil, and painful menstruation also have swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. I went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with staphylococcus aurous. What I did not know is whether the staph is the cause of all these symptoms. And my husband is having boil on private path fever all the time.

Comment from: Charmer73, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Well, my son had a staph infection like weeks ago. We were told it was very contagious, but didn't realize we had to worry much. I got a sore in my nose, very painful, it even had the side of the nostril the sore was in, swollen. So I went to my ENT because it was a nose problem, and when I told him about my son's condition, he said it did look like Staph. He cultured it, and unfortunately it turned out to be "MRSA" so was my son's. I am on Bactrim, and Bracoban ointment that has to be placed in the nose. I worry because I am in remission from cancer and I know how serious this can be. I want to know what triggers it into an infection that needs attention.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

Mine staph infection occurred as a small pimple in my ear. The spot just kept getting more and more swollen, like about the size of a small pea. It was very painful to the touch and red. I had scratched at it and sort of opened the sore. I went to doctor and was put on antibiotics and a topical ointment. After three weeks, it finally seemed cured; however, now six weeks later, the same area is sore and inflamed again. So, I guess I go back to the doctor.

Comment from: Shari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I wonder if a staph infection over a period of years could cause weight gain. I just discovered I have a staph infection and probably have for a long time. I just finished my treatment and now I am losing weight. Maybe there could there be a connection.

Comment from: grandma times four, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had sores all over my legs and arms, so I went to the doctor and took 80 antibiotic pills. They did not help. I ended up in the ER and was sent home. The next day I had a 103 F (39.4 C) fever and I was very sick. I was rushed to another hospital for open heart surgery. For a week they did not know if I would live. I had my second open surgery in four years. The staph ate away my mitral valve. I spent six weeks in the hospital.

Comment from: arboedeker, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My five year old daughter currently has a staph infection in her skin. It started with skin peeling between her fingers, and a few days after that, blisters in the same area. Circular spots popped up on her thigh and one on her cheek. Initially her pediatrician thought it was an allergic reaction, and prescribed her cortisone cream and Benadryl. Her rash continued to get worse, and after the weekend we went back to the doctor and received the staph infection diagnosis. A week later, her condition is ten times better, but she still has it. An antibiotic cream and oral antibiotic are doing the trick, but it is slow going. The staph spread very quickly, and is slow to heal.

Comment from: dannyboy201, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 43 years old I contacted MRSA in my spine. I am now permanently disabled from my nipples down which is a T4 injury. I am now confined to a wheel chair. They say I may have contracted staphylococcus by intravenous usage. But how it wound up in my spine, nobody can give me a direct answer. So anyone using IV should be very very careful.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

These stories of staph infections seem so tame. I got what I thought was a spider bite. A small bump surrounded by a sand dollar sized ring which was hard. It was under my arm by my breast. I went to the doctor and because I had MRSA a few months before she gave me Bactrim. Two days later I came back because the area had quadrupled in size and was emitting large quantities of puss. Cups full. So the doctor cultured it and the preliminary find was staph, but there hasn't been enough time to get the culture back on what to treat it with. I go in daily to have the area, which now has many openings, drained and packed. I have had a temperature of a minimum of 100 constantly and the area is fluctuating between better and worse. I am using Hibiclens on my body and the bactrim type ointment in my nose. Today I will get a second opinion.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.