Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

These stories of staph infections seem so tame. I got what I thought was a spider bite. A small bump surrounded by a sand dollar sized ring which was hard. It was under my arm by my breast. I went to the doctor and because I had MRSA a few months before she gave me Bactrim. Two days later I came back because the area had quadrupled in size and was emitting large quantities of puss. Cups full. So the doctor cultured it and the preliminary find was staph, but there hasn't been enough time to get the culture back on what to treat it with. I go in daily to have the area, which now has many openings, drained and packed. I have had a temperature of a minimum of 100 constantly and the area is fluctuating between better and worse. I am using Hibiclens on my body and the bactrim type ointment in my nose. Today I will get a second opinion.

Comment from: apple-pie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My staph infection has been a real saga. I first got some little sores on my lip in April 2011. They looked a little like cold sores, but didn't respond to the cold sore cream I tried on them. After my gp tried various creams and couldn't diagnose it, I was sent to a dermatologist, who prescribed more creams and then referred me to be patch tested, as they both thought it was an allergic reaction to something. At the same time I was experiencing really nasty headaches, so I was also referred to a neurologist, who sent me for an MRI of my brain and spine. Nothing appeared on the results. About 6 weeks ago a set of sores came up on my hands, and my gp gave me yet more creams, thinking they were an allergic reaction, as well as some general antibiotics, as she thought they were an infected rash. The sores went away with the antibiotics, but came back a few days after I stopped taking them. A few days later I caught a cold, and the sores on my hands got bigger and crusty and weepy. They also started to spread. I now have 14 lesions on my hands, 3 on my nose, 2 in my nose, 1 on my forehead, 1 on my chest and 1 on my tummy. When the gp saw them, with their characteristic yellow crusts she immediately prescribed Flucloxacillin, which I have been on for 2 days. The sores have started to go away, but they're still painful. It's now March 2012, and after 14 different creams and 3 different tablets and I'm really excited at the prospect of being well!

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I currently have a huge staph infection on my chin and neck. I have been getting the doctor to remove the pus but it's so deep he can't get it out at one time. This is terrible. He already had to remove pus from boils forming around it.

Comment from: Robin3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

5 days ago, I noticed a spider bite, from there the pain from that got worse and worse, and Saturday night, i went to a hospital for treatment from that, but when i took the bandage off from what the hospital put on, i noticed the area gotten a lot worse, like a boil, and when i touched it, it like fell apart, I went to the doctors today and that is when they told me it was staph infection. Not sure that is what I had also from that start, but thinking that I got it from the hospital.

Comment from: reddawn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I was diagnosed with a staff infection 2 days agao. I have had it for about 12 days. I have had 2 full days of antibiotics. My rash is on my head, neck, shoulders, chest, back, some on arms and legs.

Comment from: Emerson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

For 6 years now, the color of my urine has been pale yellow sometimes dark yellow. Moreover I usually have constant headache and periodic fever. I also have swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. I went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with staphylococcus aureus. What I did not know is whether the staph is the cause of all these symptoms.

Comment from: Scotty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I got a staph infection in March 2011 after having rotator cuff surgery. It made a hole under my incision. My skin and staples were still intact. I was experiencing a lot of pain and high fever. My arm locked up on me. I went back to doctor and he put me on some antibiotics and heavier pain meds. He told me it's probably a little infected. It continued till the next day and I notified him. He finally put me in hospital and took out a couple of the staples and my skin opened up and I could look down into a hole that had formed under the staples. I saw layers of meat and bone. I could see all the way into my shoulder. I stayed in hosp for 7 days. He washed it out a week later and put me on oral antibiotics. It still did not do any good. I went to another state to be treated with IV antibiotics and I feel better. I never want to go through that again.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.